Thrust Reverser Logic (On Ground)

OliveBeast20441

Hello INIBuild Team,

I have a question about thrust reverser logic on the A310.

On very cold days, as expected, a lightly loaded aircraft will taxi quite fast at idle thrust. Instead of always riding the brakes to slow down the aircraft, I tried to deploy one reverser (at the idle setting) to effectively create an "air brake" and keep taxiing speeds down, but the reverser would not deploy. Both reversers do deploy when selected together, but individually they will not.

My question is whether this is a logic employed by Airbus to avoid asymmetric reverse thrust when landing, or is just the way the aircraft is modeled? 

BTW, I am using the Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack, with the throttles correctly calibrated.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by OliveBeast20441

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a common practice on those kind of engines/airplanes. Actually it's even prohibited by numerous SOPs.

What is a common practice however is single engine taxi, either taxi in or out. It save fuel and allow for slow taxi.

In my airline we taxi on the left engine only then we start the right engine no later than 4min before takeoff (to allow for engine/oil warmup and goes up to 8 min in very cold weather), of course we leave the APU running as it's easier to start the engine than a cross-bleed start. Then after landing we shutdown the left engine 1min after landing (to allow for oil temp/press to stabilize) and taxi to the gate on the right engine only. Sometimes we just keep taxying on both engines to the gate but definitely on 1 engine before takeoff as we are always saving fuel for the flight (always a bit on the low side).

Just my 2 cents...