A310-300 Autopilot and FMS

Skeeter Jawn

I am looking for tips and/or answers for the following items:

1. Tutorials indicate to enter the aircraft COG calculated in the FlyPad into the FMS, but I cannot locate where to make the entry.

2. For takeoff, the autobrakes can be set, and this is confirmed by the green light on the button.  However, this seems to be INOP (non-responsive) for landings even though tutorials indicate to set the autobrakes.

3.  Exactly where is the hidden click spot to trigger TOGA for takeoff?   I have read that it is on the left side of the glareshield.  I see an unlabeled square button in that approximate area, but it does not seem to react. 

4.  I have successfully completed autoland procedures, but tutorials and other resources I have found do not clearly address or demonstrate the recommended use of the various autopilot modes.  How is the PROFILE mode used - it does not seem to follow the descent profile?  And what are the recommended procedures for using the various modes?

Thank you for any suggestions. 

Great!  Thank you.

1.  You are correct, of course.  I did not know that the FMC setup changed with engines running. 

2. Yes, I just discovered that the LG must be down.  I was trying to set the autobrake too soon in my approach setup.

3.  The TOGA button actually worked today moving the throttles to TOGA.

4.  Aside from autoland procedures, do you have suggestions for using PROFILE mode?   When I engaged PROFILE, the annunciator on the PFD indicated P.ALT and then P.DES, but the airplane passed TOD and did not descend to the selected altitude.    How can I be certain the selected altitude is armed? 

Thank you very much for your help.

Gary was mostly correct, but let me add to his 🙂

2) Landing Gear Lever must be in Off or Down position for autobreak to work

4) Profile mode is a very rudimentary VNAV mode, but the plane is old so it doesn´t always work the best. This was/is the same in real life. Most airlines didn´t even use profile mode for that reason.

I recomment you to watch our new or returning to airlines series on youtube. There you will learn everything you need 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzeFYXw62MgZWG518Qe3aqz_9wLIT_aRa

I wondered whether my descent profile was too steep and was therefore ignored by PROFILE mode as Unable.   I tried the same flight at lower cruise altitude (SimBrief seems to give very high altitudes for mid-range flights).   Anyway, PROFILE was working great.  I had selected the FAF altitude, and the aircraft descended to the next profile altitude (FL240) and leveled off short of the next descent point.  I expected it would begin descending at the next waypoint, but alas a CDT!

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated! 🙂

BTW, I watch many hours of tutorials and take notes.  Unfortunately, in many tutorials, I cannot understand clearly what is being said and CC often doesn't catch the meaning either.  Also, much of the clicking on buttons etc. is so fast I can't see it well.  I back up and replay so much that a 30-minute video takes 90 minutes or more.  I guess that's just me - an old guy. 

14 hours ago, gumbyger said:

4) Profile mode is a very rudimentary VNAV mode, but the plane is old so it doesn´t always work the best. This was/is the same in real life. Most airlines didn´t even use profile mode for that reason.

I recomment you to watch our new or returning to airlines series on youtube. There you will learn everything you need 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzeFYXw62MgZWG518Qe3aqz_9wLIT_aRa

Takeoff and descent in PROF mode is recommended actually.  You just have to be more aware of what the airplane is doing as opposed to just "setting it and forgetting it".  The crew must constantly monitor all phases of flight.  As rudimentary as it is, the A300/A310 does better than the EMB-190 in real life.  Typical rule of thumb for decent is that youll cross a constraint at the altitude you want, or speed, but not both.  In either case, use the spoilers to get you where you need.

Thank you for your comment.  It is very much appreciated.  I have begun watching the iniBuild Returning to Airliners series of tutorials (again), and the learning process is a rewarding part of the flight sim hobby.  I know adjustments must be made for weight, wind, etc. but are there general guidelines for the A310 for speed at various stages of flight?  I find suggested speeds for approach, but otherwise not so much.  In your experience are the SimBrief speed constraints generally reliable?