Direct To makes weird path / RNAV doesn't arm for final descent

Joel S

I'm testing RNAV functionality using RNAV Z 31L for KJFK (inibuilds).  I set a direct to ZACHS instead of creating a direct path, it added a curved path (attached image).  

Secondly, the "3.0" descent angle at the FAF is missing from the flight plan.  I believe that is the cause of P. DES. not arming.  I duplicated the exact same approach on the A310 and the 3.0 appears and P. DES. arms as expected (see 2 attached images).

Screenshot A310.png

Screenshot A300.png

Screenshot Direct To.png

Have you flown an RNAV with this plane?  It is not like any other aircraft you have flown.  Go to Youtube and search INI A300 RNAV tutorial.  If you miss one step, it will not work just like in the real plane. As for the DCT TO, don't know never seen that.  

Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

logo_130208.png

5 hours ago, JetNoise said:

Flew an RNAV into LFPG (Paris) this morning. 

Worked as expected, no issues.

Oliver 

Did you verify that the FAF had a "3.00" above it in the flight plan (same as my pic above)?

Here is a screenshot from INIBUILDS YT video - EFB & Approaches - A310 | Part 2.  I circled the "3.00" on both waypoints after the FAF.  If this is missing from the flightplan, then I believe that's why the A300 will not arm P. DES. in blue.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 180645.png

1 hour ago, Joel S said:

Here is a screenshot from INIBUILDS YT video - EFB & Approaches - A310 | Part 2.  I circled the "3.00" on both waypoints after the FAF.  If this is missing from the flightplan, then I believe that's why the A300 will not arm P. DES. in blue.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 180645.png

No, there are a number of reasons it won't arm.

1. Not at platform altitude and in some other mode other than profile.  I am normally in ALT HOLD 

2. Did not enter the MDA from the chart on the Approach page.

3. Did not activate the approach on the approach page. 

I never look at the legs page to set up and activate an approach.  The 3.00 that is important is on the Approach page, and when you activate it will read how far above or below that 3.0 you are.  

Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

logo_130208.png

52 minutes ago, Crabby said:

No, there are a number of reasons it won't arm.

1. Not at platform altitude and in some other mode other than profile.  I am normally in ALT HOLD 

2. Did not enter the MDA from the chart on the Approach page.

3. Did not activate the approach on the approach page. 

I never look at the legs page to set up and activate an approach.  The 3.00 that is important is on the Approach page, and when you activate it will read how far above or below that 3.0 you are.  

While everything you say is true, those are not the reasons for this issue.  I'm at platform altitude in ALT HOLD mode.  I'm in NAV mode. I entered a MDA.  I pressed FINAL 3.0.  I saw the VDEV value indicating how much above or below profile the plane is.   

At that point I should be able to press PROFILE and P.DES. should arm in blue.  It does not and I believe it's because the FMC doesn't have a -3.00 degree FPA programmed.  I've now tried a dozen RNAV approaches at a few different airports and NONE of them have it programmed into the FMC.  However, using the A310, ALL of these same RNAV approaches have 3.00 programmed into the FMC.  I wish I kept a copy of v1.0.6 to rollback and confirm that it used to work. 

Edited by Joel S

Looks like v1.0.9 fixed the RNAV issue.  I can arm P.DES. in blue by clicking PROFILE.  However, the MDCU still does not show the 3.00 in the flightplan.

The DIRECT TO function is still buggy.  It still creates an arc path to the waypoint even when the plane is pointed directly at it (see screenshot). 

I've tried so far with some waypoints leading to RNAV approaches for KJFK.  I just hit DIR, select the waypoint, select *INSERT and I get what you see in the screenshot above.

That example is the RNAV Z 31L approach.  I use FSIPANEL 2020 to quickly place the A300 into position at RISSY.  I then set a Direct To  I never had an issue setting a Direct To ZACHS and you can see how the flightpath is drawn.  The plane is facing ZACHS and should be a straight line.  Instead there's a curve arc followed by a straight line.

I did more testing and I believe the DIRECT TO issue I'm having is related to FSIPANEL 2020.  I'll contact the owner,JP, and inquire.  So the only issue (if you want to call it that) is to have "3.00" appear on the FAF of RNAV approaches.

• Like 1