1.03 - Oversensitive rudder during T/O roll

Genista

During take-off the rudder seems to become super effective as soon as the speed goes above 20-30kts. The slightest pedal deflection causes the aircraft to severely veer left or right.

This leads to an almost uncontrollable aircraft during take-off roll, especially in case of crosswind.

I would expect the rudder not to do much before at least 60kts and only then start to become progressively effective.

Other addons do not show this (incorrect) behavior. 

For reference my hardware is MFG Crosswind; and steering is on a separate axis.

Suggestions:

1/ Reduce crosswind sensivity 

and

2/ Reduce global rudder effectiveness on ground, especially at lower speeds

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genista said:

During take-off the rudder seems to become super effective as soon as the speed goes above 20-30kts. The slightest pedal deflection causes the aircraft to severely veer left or right.

This leads to an almost uncontrollable aircraft during take-off roll, especially in case of crosswind.

I would expect the rudder not to do much before at least 60kts and only then start to become progressively effective.

Suggestions:

and

What's you setting for "auto rudder disconnect"? I had this behaviour starting with 1.02 and switching it off restored rudder sensitivity. Would you report back if it helped, because I gave this hint several times but didn't hear back from the OPs. Just curious if it really does help...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genista said:

Suggestions:

and

I've had a few flights on v1.0.3 and have great rudder response on the takeoff roll. Granted I have a response curve set up on the rudder axis through FSUIPC7 that reduces response around the center point. 

As B320Max8 said. Do you have the "Auto Tiller Disconnect" selected in the EFB? I do and it works fine.

Cheers,

John (A300/A310 mechanic)

27 minutes ago, CF104 said:

I've had a few flights on v1.0.3 and have great rudder response on the takeoff roll. Granted I have a response curve set up on the rudder axis through FSUIPC7 that reduces response around the center point. 

As B320Max8 said. Do you have the "Auto Tiller Disconnect" selected in the EFB? I do and it works fine.

Cheers,

John (A300/A310 mechanic)

You don´t happen to know what auto rudder disc actually does (besides deciding between realistic and unrealistic tiller behaviour?)😑

Also: what do you mean by "i do"? On or off? Off is the setting that worked for me...

Edited by B320Max8

1 minute ago, B320Max8 said:

You don´t happen to know what auto rudder disc actually does (besides deciding between realistic and unrealistic tiller behaviour?)😑

I would have to guess as at what it does as the documentation is very lacking. 

Regards,

John

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:33 PM, B320Max8 said:

What's you setting for "auto rudder disconnect"? I had this behaviour starting with 1.02 and switching it off restored rudder sensitivity. Would you report back if it helped, because I gave this hint several times but didn't hear back from the OPs. Just curious if it really does help...

Hey, many thanks for your input. Putting that option to OFF indeed appeared to solve the issue on take-off !

@devs: If this is intended behavior maybe it should be OFF by default (?)

29 minutes ago, Nico - Gumby said:

If we put it to "off" as default, another groups of users will have issues, depending on their hardware. We unfortunately can't make it perfect for everyone 😕

Can you expand on what the "auto rudder disconnect" is meant to accomplish in the sim?

Thanks,

John (A300 AME)

9 hours ago, Nico - Gumby said:

If we put it to "off" as default, another groups of users will have issues, depending on their hardware. We unfortunately can't make it perfect for everyone 😕

Hey Nico, no problems, this is fully understandable. Maybe a written clarification of what exactly does this option do would help then ? Maybe a note saying "we recommend leaving this setting "off" if you use a separate tiller axis" or something along those lines ?

16 hours ago, CF104 said:

Can you expand on what the "auto rudder disconnect" is meant to accomplish in the sim?

Thanks,

John (A300 AME)

As far as I know, it disconnects the link between Rudder and Tiller once you press the TOGA button. I'll mark it down for the future though to explain these options in the EFB 🙂

2 hours ago, Nico - Gumby said:

As far as I know, it disconnects the link between Rudder and Tiller once you press the TOGA button. I'll mark it down for the future though to explain these options in the EFB 🙂

I have a dedicated hardware tiller, would love the option to use the pedal disc button I have...

See below the hardware tiller I have 🙂
https://cat3design.com/shop/p/bwn0drk9h3h0xry9nbguiujtsa9chc

Edited by virtualstuff
  • iniBuilds 1

5 minutes ago, virtualstuff said:

I have a dedicated hardware tiller, would love the option to use the pedal disc button I have...

See below the hardware tiller I have 🙂
https://cat3design.com/shop/p/bwn0drk9h3h0xry9nbguiujtsa9chc

Without auto switching it's a mess with a dedicated tiller... only i have sometime the problem the auto switching occurs later after the toga button is used...

Edited by virtualstuff

Hello.

I have got a dedicated tiller as well. It would be nice if the ini A300 could be set up for a separate use of rudders and tiller. For example the nose wheel tiller moves the nose wheel to its full extend while the rudder only to a few degrees.

By the way: The PEDAL DISC button on the Airbus tiller is supposed to disconnect the rudder pedals from the nose wheel while performing the flight controls check. It doesn't have any other function - i. e. limiting movements etc. during take off. Do the A300/A310 even have that button or function?

Christian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nico - Gumby said:

Thanks for the explanation. If I understood this correctly, you would need this option only, if you have the rudder steering active (rudder controls tiller) in the EFB.
If you use a separate tiller, you wouldn't need it anyways. Maybe that explains, why it is messing around when having the rudder=tiller option deactivated while having the auto disconnect option activated?

45 minutes ago, RogePete said:

Thanks for the explanation. If I understood this correctly, you would need this option only, if you have the rudder steering active (rudder controls tiller) in the EFB.
If you use a separate tiller, you wouldn't need it anyways. Maybe that explains, why it is messing around when having the rudder=tiller option deactivated while having the auto disconnect option activated?

You need it also with a dedicated hardware tiller 😉 when disabled the rudder pedals don't work or the logic isn't correct 🫣

Edited by virtualstuff

1 hour ago, mcnobody said:

Hello.

I have got a dedicated tiller as well. It would be nice if the ini A300 could be set up for a separate use of rudders and tiller. For example the nose wheel tiller moves the nose wheel to its full extend while the rudder only to a few degrees.

By the way: The PEDAL DISC button on the Airbus tiller is supposed to disconnect the rudder pedals from the nose wheel while performing the flight controls check. It doesn't have any other function - i. e. limiting movements etc. during take off. Do the A300/A310 even have that button or function?

Christian

Exactly don't know if the real A300 has one (pedal disc) and they do the checks not during taxi....

4 hours ago, mcnobody said:

Hello.

Christian

The A300/A310 doesn't have a NWS disconnect button. It's all mechanical linkages to the NWS system. There is a spring override system that allows the pilot to hold the steering tiller centered while doing the flight control checks.

Regards,

John (A300 AME)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nico - Gumby said:

As for the auto disconnect sometimes it disconnects after 80 knots (toga used) which then lost rudder authority just after 80 knots we have the rudder back far to late...

tonight had the issue full rudder and after 80 knots full control is back (can use the tiller till that point 🫣)

Edited by virtualstuff