Heathrow VGDS

Ben Elwood

Make sure the noolaero-module-vdgs addon is in the exe.xml file (open the file with Notepad)

For MS Store version it's located in .....    C:\Users\andym\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Try running MSFS in 'Admin Mode' to see if that works.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Make sure the noolaero-module-vdgs addon is in the exe.xml file (open the file with Notepad)

For MS Store version it's located in .....    C:\Users\andym\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Try running MSFS in 'Admin Mode' to see if that works.

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but you have lost me slightly. I have tried running in admin mode and makes no difference. 

where do you find an exe.xml folder. 
the add on appears in my FS community folder as Noolareo-module-vdgs. Should that be enough? Does it need to be inside the EGLL folder as well?

14 minutes ago, gumbyger said:

No, Community folder should be enough 🙂
If it shows up in you Content Manager it should work; does it do that for you? It should be in there as "Visual Docking Guidance System"

It indeed shows up in my content manager and says installed. Version 3.3.0. 

I’m really stumped by why it isn’t working. Are there minimum graphics settings needed ti show it up. Or anything else that I can do?

28 minutes ago, Ben Elwood said:

It indeed shows up in my content manager and says installed. Version 3.3.0. 

I’m really stumped by why it isn’t working. Are there minimum graphics settings needed ti show it up. Or anything else that I can do?

Just tried it again with V3.3 as well (used V3.1 during Beta testing) and its still working without an issue for me. Which gate are you trying this at?

8 minutes ago, gumbyger said:

Just tried it again with V3.3 as well (used V3.1 during Beta testing) and its still working without an issue for me. Which gate are you trying this at?

I’ve tried it at numerous Terminal 5 gates as well as Terminal 4. I have just tried reinstalling the Heathrow scenery again so will see if that makes any difference. 
I do have a low spec machine so could it perhaps be related to me running low graphics settings? 

25 minutes ago, Ben Elwood said:

I’ve tried it at numerous Terminal 5 gates as well as Terminal 4. I have just tried reinstalling the Heathrow scenery again so will see if that makes any difference. 
I do have a low spec machine so could it perhaps be related to me running low graphics settings? 

Mh, no, that shouldn´t make a difference honestly. Could you try launching MSFS as Admin please and see if that fixes it?

I

7 minutes ago, gumbyger said:

Mh, no, that shouldn´t make a difference honestly. Could you try launching MSFS as Admin please and see if that fixes it?

I’ve tried that numerous times, again to no avail. It’s a very annoying problem, because although it’s a small part of the scenery it’s a very cool addition that I would love to have work. 

Admin has made no difference, I’ve tried all different times of day and all different planes, nothing appears to help. 

I’m assuming it’s just a lost cause? 

57 minutes ago, Ben Elwood said:

I

I’ve tried that numerous times, again to no avail. It’s a very annoying problem, because although it’s a small part of the scenery it’s a very cool addition that I would love to have work. 

Admin has made no difference, I’ve tried all different times of day and all different planes, nothing appears to help. 

I’m assuming it’s just a lost cause? 

Lost cause sounds sad to me, but I don´t have any more steps to help you unfortunately 😞

You can try contacting Nool directly and see if they can help you maybe? Submit a ticket here https://tickets.nool.ee/index.php?a=add&category=7

If they manage to help you, or if they can´t, could you please let me know as well?

11 hours ago, Ben Elwood said:

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but you have lost me slightly. I have tried running in admin mode and makes no difference. 

where do you find an exe.xml folder. 
the add on appears in my FS community folder as Noolareo-module-vdgs. Should that be enough? Does it need to be inside the EGLL folder as well?

The exe.xml is a file that MSFS uses to load addons, just worth checking that the VDGS executuion lines were added.

I found when I was on Windows 10 that I had to 'Run as administrator' MSFS to get the VDGS to work. I've sinced moved to Windows 11 and do not have that problem. I'm not sure if there was a glitch or some 'privilages' issue in my system preventing the addons from being run. It was the same for the Fenix A320, it would only work if I ran MSFS in Admin mode.

VDGS.jpg

11 hours ago, jimsmac said:

I get an installer error for the VDGS installer found on this site. It says it can’t find the community folder!

Me too

8 hours ago, gumbyger said:

Launch installer as Admin please 🙂

I tried that and it still doesn't work

'MSFS Community folder was not found. Run the full wizard to manually enter the path to the Community folder.'

If I click 'OK' it then says:

One or more issues caused the setup to fail. Please fix the issues and then retry setup. For more information see the "log file"

0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation.

22 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Me too

I tried that and it still doesn't work

'MSFS Community folder was not found. Run the full wizard to manually enter the path to the Community folder.'

If I click 'OK' it then says:

One or more issues caused the setup to fail. Please fix the issues and then retry setup. For more information see the "log file"

0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation.

I managed to get it to install by installing the latest release from the nool website and then installing the file from here but when I get in the sim they still don't work.

22 hours ago, gumbyger said:

Launch installer as Admin please 🙂

Thanks but still the same error. I know not an ini product but thought i would ask here.

13 hours ago, Jazz said:

I managed to get it to install by installing the latest release from the nool website and then installing the file from here but when I get in the sim they still don't work.

Thanks for the tip! I tried that too but can’t seem to navigate to the community folder with it. Seems to be some sort of odd permissions issue even though doing it as an admin. 

EGLL is great in v3 and will just live without the VGDS for now!

On 1/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, jimsmac said:

I get an installer error for the VDGS installer found on this site. It says it can’t find the community folder!

whats msfs version have  you got  steam or  from  ms  it  self more  than likely  you trying  to intall it  to the  wromg  community  folder

Edited by pete_auau

1 hour ago, jimsmac said:

I am in the same boat as Jazz and Ben above now. I have got it all installed but it doesn't seem to work. When I look at the exe.xml above sure enough there is nothing in there for VDGS!

You can add it manually if you want to 🙂

<Launch.Addon>
		<Name>noolaero-module-vdgs</Name>
		<Disabled>False</Disabled>
		<Path><your path to community folder>\Community\noolaero-module-vdgs\Binaries\vdgs-util.exe</Path>
	</Launch.Addon>

Exchange the <Your parth to community folder> with the actual path obviously 😄

8 hours ago, gumbyger said:

You can add it manually if you want to 🙂

<Launch.Addon>
		<Name>noolaero-module-vdgs</Name>
		<Disabled>False</Disabled>
		<Path><your path to community folder>\Community\noolaero-module-vdgs\Binaries\vdgs-util.exe</Path>
	</Launch.Addon>

Exchange the <Your parth to community folder> with the actual path obviously 😄

Thanks but still no joy. I wonder if the installer is having issues as the path to my community folder is too many characters. Would be odd as its just in the default location. I had the same issue installing longer named liveries for the A310 through iniManager. In this case to get around I installed the VDGS to my c drive and then copied the folder over to the community folder. Thanks for your help all the same!