FMS crash to desktop

jfwharton

I know that I'm sort of poking around in the dark as I can't find any documentation for the A310 for MSFS, but I was trying to load a flight plan and not getting anywhere.  I have flight plans stored for MSFS but loading them when starting a flight isn't working.  So I thought I would try starting one manually.  Going to the INIT page I enter KDEN/KJAC in the CO RTE and nothing happens.  I enter KDEN/KJAC in FROM/TO and it crashed to desktop.  Is there a way to load a stored flight plan other than requesting one through Simbrief?

Edited by jfwharton

As for the CO RTE, if you use the new iniManager v2, under the Pilot Support page you can import your simbrief flightplan, then export it. The Manager will automatically put the file at the correct place for the A310 to access it. It should then load the CO RTE.

You can also import the simbrief flightplan directly via the FMC --> Menu --> ACARS --> request simbrief

17 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to do something like that to get flight plans into the A310.  Such a shame, I will be uninstalling the aircraft.

You can also add the flightplans manually if you want to.

Youll need to add a "flightplans" folder here:

MS Store version: C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\work

Steam: C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\work

10 minutes ago, gumbyger said:

You can also add the flightplans manually if you want to.

Youll need to add a "flightplans" folder here:

MS Store version: C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\work

Steam: C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\work

Thank you for that information.  Is there a specific format for the flight plans, i.e. a specific extension .fpl .pln etc?

23 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I tried exporting flight plans in .fpl format to the Steam location you indicated and tried entering the flight plan in co rte but nothing loads.

Sorry, i actually gave you the wrong path. Please put the .fpl file here
yoursteamfolder\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Official\Steam\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\Data\FMS plans

Here is a sample file, with which i can confirm it works when you enter the FROM/TO in your FMC.

KPNSKLAX.fpl

Unfortunately none of the above is working for me! Everytime I enter the From/To in the FMS I either get a freeze and have to hard-exit FS or I get a CTD!

- My SimBrief Username is entered in ACARS and when I attempt to fetch the Fp it just hangs on Pending*

- I tried importing the Fp with iniManager with no result

- I have manually dropped the .fpl into the Data/FMS plans folder as above but still nothing works....

Any ideas at all as I can't align IRS without doing this?

Thanks,

Edited by visibleimagery

19 minutes ago, visibleimagery said:

Unfortunately none of the above is working for me! Everytime I enter the From/To in the FMS I either get a freeze and have to hard-exit FS or I get a CTD!

- My SimBrief Username is entered in ACARS and when I attempt to fetch the Fp it just hangs on Pending*

- I tried importing the Fp with iniManager with no result

- I have manually dropped the .fpl into the Data/FMS plans folder as above but still nothing works....

Any ideas at all as I can't align IRS without doing this?

Thanks,

Crashing on entering From/To probably is related to this:

1 hour ago, gumbyger said:

Sorry, i actually gave you the wrong path. Please put the .fpl file here
yoursteamfolder\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Official\Steam\microsoft-aircraft-a310-300\Data\FMS plans

Here is a sample file, with which i can confirm it works when you enter the FROM/TO in your FMC.

KPNSKLAX.fpl 1.09 kB · 0 downloads

I tried saving the .fpl flight plans to that folder and they still don't load.  I saved your example flight plan to that folder and it doesn't load.  What can I be doing wrong?  Or is this broken for some reason.

I uninstalled the aircraft, both installs, restarted the simulator and then reinstalled the aircraft again.  This time I was able to load a flight plan from simbrief so that is working now for me, but I still can't get a flight plan to load using CO RTE.

7 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I was able, using inimanager v2 to download a flight plan created in Simbrief and export it to the FMS plans folder.  Unfortunately it would not load via CO RTE in the FMS.

I did verify that the inimanager exported to the FMS plans folder by removing everything from that folder, then downloading from Simbrief using the inimanager and then selecting the export option.  The flight plan KDENKJAC.fpl then appeared in the FMS plans folder.

13 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I did verify that the inimanager exported to the FMS plans folder by removing everything from that folder, then downloading from Simbrief using the inimanager and then selecting the export option.  The flight plan KDENKJAC.fpl then appeared in the FMS plans folder.

What is the result of entering KDEN/KJAC in your FROM/TO?

5 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I haven't tried since reinstalling the aircraft.  Before entering that into FROM/TO crashed the sim to desktop as I had mentioned above.

I just tried entering KDEN/KJAC into FROM/TO and it brought up the flight plan.  I selected insert and it inserted the flight plan.  So that seems to be working now.  Thank you for suggesting that.  Guess I was afraid it would crash the simulator.  I have sent an email to the developer of Little Navmap, which I use for my flight plans including an attachment of the flight plan exported from Simbrief.  Hopefully he can update Little Navmap so it exports in that format as the .fpl format which Little Navmap currently exports is not the same as what Simbrief exports.

Since I also just CTDed on simbrief import, maybe i am right here. What does that imply - any custom airport may make the sim crash when I enter from/to in the FMS? Implying we can just fly the plane in MSFS without any custom airports at its current state? Also how to understand the "Navigraph Navdata fully updated" - people not having a navigraph subscription cannot fly it since it may or will CTD on FMS data entry?

cheers

Edited by Harry46

13 minutes ago, Harry46 said:

And indeed, I just CTDed when just entering EDDF/LSZH, no simbrief import. I am of course standing at a custom airport here at LSZH.

I believe the reason they are saying we need to keep navigraph data up to date is because they are supposing that all of us will use simbrief to create and load flight plans and simbrief, run by navigraph, will always have the latest airac cycle.  I personally don't use simbrief and don't like being forced to use it.  I emailed the developer of Little Navmap about  the issue I am having and sent him at attachment of one of the simbrief flight plans I created.  He sent me two test files which I was able to save to the FMS plans folder and both worked.  Unfortunately this aircraft does not allow me to see the flight plans in the FMS plans folder and even if there are multiple plans for the same airports (KDENKJAC, KDENKJAC1, KDENKJAC2 for example) the FMS only sees the first one listed so you can't have multiple flight plans as in the example.  Hopefully Little Navmap will be updated shortly and I will be able to create flight plans using that and save them to the FMS plans folder.

6 hours ago, iniBuilds said:

- Make sure Navigraph Navdata fully updated
- If you dont use it, remove it

Is it absolutely required to have the latest AIRAC installed? I paid a month's worth of navdata, so that all my addons and sims are in the same page, including Simbrief. I never fly online (i.e. VATSIM or IVAO), so I don't see the point of paying for the latest AIRAC. I don't feel like forced to pay monthly for something just for not having a CTD.

1 hour ago, jfwharton said:

I believe the reason they are saying we need to keep navigraph data up to date is because they are supposing that all of us will use simbrief to create and load flight plans and simbrief, run by navigraph, will always have the latest airac cycle.

Not correct: by default, Simbrief comes with AIRAC 2103 active. If you have paid for a Navdata subscription, it will allow you to switch between al AIRACs you had a subscription active for. Since my subscription covered AIRACs 2208 and 2209, I can switch between all three (2103, 2208 and 2209) freely.

As of now, I've been unable to fly the A310 (not even moving it a single meter), even with a FP downloaded from Simbrief, because of that CTD. I'm using AIRAC 2209 in MSFS and Simbrief. Can you fix this issue, please?

Edited by lmhariano
  • Thanks 1

Hi, this is unfortunately not an issue we can resolve. Navigraph navdata prior to the current version is incompatible with the API for using in sim navdata, as we do. The native navdata provided by Asobo/NavBlue does not cause this issue either; so there's no need to pay for more Navigraph navdata if you don't want to.