Rudder/Tiller Problem during Taxi

chaser911

Hey,

since the last Update i got a weird problem during taxi operations.

The Plane pulls to the right all the time until I hit TOGA for takeoff then it suddenly is all fine. Same during landing, as soon the nose touches down, the plane pulls to the right.

It is NOT the AXIS and/or Hardware and it only happens in the A306. The pointy thingy on the tiller points to "0".

What i did to fix it:

Unplugged the rudder pedals.

Unplugged all my controls.

Reset the plane state to cold and dark and other states.

Reset and switch on/off Maintenance

Am i missing something?

Sincerely

I had exactly the same. I loaded the pmdg 737 for comparison to check if it is a controller problem and it was not.

I reloaded the A300 and everything was OK.  Maybe the A300 was not compiled correctly initially (?)

1 hour ago, KorEl said:

I had exactly the same. I loaded the pmdg 737 for comparison to check if it is a controller problem and it was not.

I reloaded the A300 and everything was OK.  Maybe the A300 was not compiled correctly initially (?)

What...Huh? How...

Loading another plane did NOT fix the problem (i tried that before you mentioned it)

Loading the pmdg 738 ONCE fixes the problem permanently!

I'm baffled

Thank you KorEI!

Unfortunately for me the B738 does not fix it permanently,  every time the sim restarts, i have to do the same procedure again and load the 738 first, otherwise the A300 continues to pull to the right. Very strange indeed!

After further investigation:

I changed my maintenance option from "realistic" to "disabled" and the symptom was reversed, it started pulling to the left. That means something was corrupt with the maintenance function.

To be sure I deleted all contents inside the "work" folder (content is recreated next time the A300 will load, it is located at   "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600" for steam) and that fixed it -permanently I believe... 🙂

1. On 7/21/2024 at 5:33 PM, KorEl said:

Unfortunately for me the B738 does not fix it permanently,  every time the sim restarts, i have to do the same procedure again and load the 738 first, otherwise the A300 continues to pull to the right. Very strange indeed!

Okay, for me it is different. It fixed it until either this last msfs update OR the last reboot. Now it is back (and fixable, again, through loading the 738). But it IS persistently fixed between MSFS restarts.

On 7/21/2024 at 11:39 PM, KorEl said:

After further investigation:

I changed my maintenance option from "realistic" to "disabled" and the symptom was reversed, it started pulling to the left. That means something was corrupt with the maintenance function.

To be sure I deleted all contents inside the "work" folder (content is recreated next time the A300 will load, it is located at   "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600" for steam) and that fixed it -permanently I believe... 🙂

Nope, i tried that and it did nothing for me. :(

Hi @chaser911

There are no reported issue with steering on the A300, either internally or through the 50+ tester's systems it has gone through in testing. 

Common causes for steering issue include:

1. Control Bindings Issues
    - Rudder/Steering Axis: Either of the two have been been bound to controls not intended. Please check your controller settings to ensure it is only assigned to buttons/hardware you want to control rudder/steering. 

2. Differential Thrust Input
    - In case you are using multiple axis to control each engine independently, please ensure that the thrust is being applied uniformally across both engines. Any difference in N1% between the engines can cause you to veer to the left/right.

3. Differential Brake input
    - Brakes Axis/Buttons: Either of the two have been been bound to controls not intended. If you are using Rudder Pedals with toe brakes axis, please check their deadzones as erroneous triggering of brakes can also cause you to veer left/right. 

4. Noisy Control Inputs
    - Please check all your axis are properly calibrated and there is no "noise" in those controls that may be adding unintended control inputs.

5. AI Assists
    - Please ensure all assists are disabled in the Assistance Options. These can cause conflicts with flight controls and AP functions on our planes.

Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

2 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

Hi @chaser911

There are no reported issue with steering on the A300, either internally or through the 50+ tester's systems it has gone through in testing. 

Common causes for steering issue include:

1. Control Bindings Issues
    - Rudder/Steering Axis: Either of the two have been been bound to controls not intended. Please check your controller settings to ensure it is only assigned to buttons/hardware you want to control rudder/steering. 

2. Differential Thrust Input
    - In case you are using multiple axis to control each engine independently, please ensure that the thrust is being applied uniformally across both engines. Any difference in N1% between the engines can cause you to veer to the left/right.

3. Differential Brake input
    - Brakes Axis/Buttons: Either of the two have been been bound to controls not intended. If you are using Rudder Pedals with toe brakes axis, please check their deadzones as erroneous triggering of brakes can also cause you to veer left/right. 

4. Noisy Control Inputs
    - Please check all your axis are properly calibrated and there is no "noise" in those controls that may be adding unintended control inputs.

5. AI Assists
    - Please ensure all assists are disabled in the Assistance Options. These can cause conflicts with flight controls and AP functions on our planes.

Thanks!

Hey @richboy2307

1. it pulls to the right without ANY controls other then Mouse/Keyboard attached to the computer.

2. see 1 - but i rechecked by splitting the throttle and only using engine 2. yep, it still pulls right even at max thrust engine 2.

3. see 1 - tried that too, you can barely make it pull to the left with split brake input.

4. see 1

5. i rechecked, nope sorry. no Assistance Options.

@KorEl

weirdly enough, the problem suddenly came back again.

I tried your solution and it seems to work, for now.

I will switch maintenance mode off for now, because i think you are right, something with that is effed up for the two of us with it.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:42 PM, chaser911 said:

I will switch maintenance mode off for now, because i think you are right, something with that is effed up for the two of us with it.

Thanks for the update. Clearing your work folder should reset the maintenance items. In case it happens again, try to "REPLACE TIRES" maintenance option from the EFB menu. If that doesn't work, then maybe also try the "REPLACE BRAKES" option from the same menu. 

image.png.350b86dda0389afdb7f0d2942618d88a.png

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

@KorEl

Hey, 

i think i got it...-sigh-

Do you use, by any chance, the Toolbar Pushback from ftsim?

I actually forgot that i had it installed until the Fenix "complained" it being there and causing issues. After deleting it from the community folder the issue is gone.

Edited by chaser911
  • Like 2

Yes, most probably that was the cause. I deleted it too when the FBW A320 displayed a warning about it. Never thought this may be the problem for the A300 but it seems it was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2024 at 12:09 AM, chaser911 said:

Hey,

since the last Update i got a weird problem during taxi operations.

The Plane pulls to the right all the time until I hit TOGA for takeoff then it suddenly is all fine. Same during landing, as soon the nose touches down, the plane pulls to the right.

It is NOT the AXIS and/or Hardware and it only happens in the A306. The pointy thingy on the tiller points to "0".

What i did to fix it:

Unplugged the rudder pedals.

Unplugged all my controls.

Reset the plane state to cold and dark and other states.

Reset and switch on/off Maintenance

Am i missing something?

Sincerely

I have the exact same problem, with tiller in the neutral position the aircraft veers to the right during taxi. I have no combating hardware assignments, no AI assist, no throttle variation on engine 1 and 2, etc. I corrected the issue by setting/mirroring my rudder pedals axis assignment to the nose steering axis assignment. This corrected the veering issue but it’s not the ideal solution. Hopefully iniBuilds can recreate this problem on their end in order to find the proper solution. But I’m ok for now. 

6 hours ago, hardfloor said:

I corrected the issue by setting/mirroring my rudder pedals axis assignment to the nose steering axis assignment.

This sounds like you have something else mapped to your steering axis (be it controller or keyboard/mouse) which is giving it some input that would cause it to be stuck. Additionally, you shouldn't have to assign a steering axis through the sim if you have the RUDDER CONTROLS TILLER option enabled in the EFB, as that is what that option does for you automatically.

We are not able to reproduce this issue across PC or Xbox, so it does seem localized to your control options/setup unfortunately.

I'm having the same problem with the rudders. I've already changed everything possible in the tablet settings, the keys on the FS2020, I tried creating a new profile, I tried using the default simulator profile, and nothing (I have a Logitech X52). 
I don't know what else to do. The aircraft on the ground does not move side to side. When I go to the F/CTL screen, it shows the rudder moving correctly, but when moving the aircraft goes in a straight line.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:12 AM, Daniel Landucci said:

I don't know what else to do.

I'm not certain this will resolve the issue but worth trying. Delete the contents of the folder listed below. It will regenerate those files next time you load into a flight with the A300. The location will vary depending on your version of MSFS:

*Note: It will reset some EFB options (like throttle calibration) and other maintenance records.*

Steam

%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600

MS Store

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Packages\inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600

On 8/27/2024 at 7:12 AM, Daniel Landucci said:

The aircraft on the ground does not move side to side. When I go to the F/CTL screen, it shows the rudder moving correctly, but when moving the aircraft goes in a straight line.

In case you are using the rudders only, without any assignment to the steering axis, then you must have the RUDDER CONTROLS TILLER option enabled. With that on, you'll see the tiller in the cockpit, and the nosewheel in external camera move with your assigned rudder axis. 

As stated in the thread above, there may be conflicts with Toolbar Pushback (in case you're using that). Alternatively, as done by Hardfloor, assign the same hardware axis to the 'steering axis' and use it that way.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

I'm not certain this will resolve the issue but worth trying. Delete the contents of the folder listed below. It will regenerate those files next time you load into a flight with the A300. The location will vary depending on your version of MSFS:

*Note: It will reset some EFB options (like throttle calibration) and other maintenance records.*

Steam

MS Store

In case you are using the rudders only, without any assignment to the steering axis, then you must have the RUDDER CONTROLS TILLER option enabled. With that on, you'll see the tiller in the cockpit, and the nosewheel in external camera move with your assigned rudder axis. 

As stated in the thread above, there may be conflicts with Toolbar Pushback (in case you're using that). Alternatively, as done by Hardfloor, assign the same hardware axis to the 'steering axis' and use it that way.

Thanks!

Hi. I uploaded a video I recorded of the A300 taxiing and also inside the cabin, showing the tablet and the operation of the rudder on the F/CTL screen. If you can analyze it and, who knows, you might be able to help me. It's the aircraft I like most from FS2020 and I simply can't fly it. =/

Thank you very much for your help!

Here's the link: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.08.27 - 19.47.56.01.mp4 - MEGA

14 hours ago, Daniel Landucci said:

Can you confirm that you have exhausted all suggestions mentioned above? Including the ones about known conflict such as toolbar pushback? Also in this video, did you just spawn on runway or was this after pushback? If after pushback, what are you using for it?

It seems like an issue where the "pushback" tool used (be it toolbar pushback or GSX for that matter) hasn't properly relinquished control, hence you're still essentially "slewing".

I would also recommend trying to use the A300 with an empty community folder. This is to rule out any conflicting addons. Instructions below:

To run with a blank community folder without losing your addons:
1. Rename your existing community folder to ``_Community``
2. Create a new ``Community`` folder in its place.
3. Copy only the ``inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600`` folder inside it.
4. Run the sim and see if same problem persists.

When done testing, restore your original folder as follows:
1. Copy the ``inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600`` folder back to ``_Community``
2. Delete the new ``Community`` folder you made
3. Rename the ``_Community`` folder to ``Community``

Thanks!

23 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

Can you confirm that you have exhausted all suggestions mentioned above? Including the ones about known conflict such as toolbar pushback? Also in this video, did you just spawn on runway or was this after pushback? If after pushback, what are you using for it?

It seems like an issue where the "pushback" tool used (be it toolbar pushback or GSX for that matter) hasn't properly relinquished control, hence you're still essentially "slewing".

I would also recommend trying to use the A300 with an empty community folder. This is to rule out any conflicting addons. Instructions below:

Thanks!

Hello. Yes, I did everything described in the previous post, from deleting the contents of the 'inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600' folder, to renaming the old communities folder and creating a new one with the same name, containing only the A300 files. Nothing worked. And as you asked me, I use GSX as a pushback.

Now I did another test. I opened Inibuild Manager and uninstalled the A300-600. I restarted the computer, installed the A300-600 again. I entered FS2020 and generated the aircraft on the runway (to be faster). I moved the throttle and it traveled a few meters and I managed to move it with the rudder. After a few meters passed, the aircraft froze again, always traveling in a straight line. I restarted the flight again and since then it freezes the command. The landing gear moves, but the aircraft does not follow, it always moves in a straight line.

5 hours ago, Daniel Landucci said:

The landing gear moves, but the aircraft does not follow, it always moves in a straight line.

Thanks again for trying all the suggestions above. Hmm, I'm stumped as I cannot reproduce the issue on my end on either iniStore or Marketplace versions of the A300. Same holds true for others internally. We have tried assigning axis through various different means, and tried on hardware such as T.Flight Rudder Pedals, MFG Crosswind, Xbox Controller and TCA Sidestick.

Can you also confirm there's no additional external addons like FSRealistic running that could cause conflicts? I also run it and haven't had any issues but just checking.

Last suggestion remaining (if not tried already) is to assign your rudder pedals to the 'NOSE WHEEL STEERING AXIS' in MSFS. That has confirmed to work for Hardfloor & another user report from earlier:

On 8/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, hardfloor said:

I corrected the issue by setting/mirroring my rudder pedals axis assignment to the nose steering axis assignment.

Thanks!