Massive Problems with the 8K textures

Trostbrot

Hi Inibuilds Team,

When using the standard 8K textures after 10 to 15 mins MSFS starts to flicker horribly.

With the alternative pack up to now that problem didn't occur.

Ok, the alternative pack is for mid to low end systems, but mine has a RTX 4080, a Core i9-13900K and 32 GB of RAM. Is that mid to low end for your textures?

Kind regards
Stefan

I have the exact same problem with the exact same system the only difference is my cpu - Ryzen 7800X3D. I noticed the flickering is happening only on very heavy airports. So far I’ve seen this on KJFK and KLAX. If I press ALT + ENTER to exit full screen and then return to full screen it stops but just temporarily.

There is definitely something with the 8K textures there that maybe needs to be optimised further, but I don’t think our systems are low to mid end. I’ve never had any problems even on KJFK and KLAX. PMDG 737 is butter smooth in both airports for example.

Hope someone from Inibuilds will reply.

Thanks for your reply!

So it's definitely a problem with the 8K textures. I don't have this problem with any other aircraft (Fenix or PMDG) despite some of their liveries do also have 8K textures.

Hopefully somebody from Inibuilds will read that...

Kind regards
Stefan

I've been experimenting and will defer to inibuilds for any corrections in my findings.

The "inibuilds-aircraft-a300-600-lowtextures" package the installer gives you the option of dropping in the community folder only reduces the size of the base textures....not the textures of the individual liveries, each in their own separate folder. 

With 8k textures you can quicky overwhelm memory if there are too many and or the file sizes are huge.  Now this can vary greatly from paint to paint....I can tell you if you're flying the Emirates paint...its textures are a whopping 732 Megabytes. 
On the other hand, DHL texture.AHK_LDA is only 357 Megabytes.

spacer.png

I took the FedEx paint and reduced the 8k maps to 4k that were 64mbs each and the folder size now a respectable 231 Megabytes.  Here is a comparison of the 2 folders, with my new, smaller FedEx on the right and Emirates 8k.  Look at all those 65 mb files!

spacer.png

I have noticed that performance is better (7800X3D, RTX 4070ti)...and if you're wondering about quality loss...

8k on UPS...
spacer.png

My 4k FedEx
spacer.png

4k still gives you incredible resolution, and unless you're flying with your nose touching the skin of the aircraft, the details look fine (incredible in fact) at a normal viewing distance.

Results can vary widely from paint to paint...actually depending on the colorization of the actual pixels.  This is because the DDS compression algorithm groups pixels with the same color and assigns them a code to render all those pixels when it sees that code...vs reading each pixel individually.  So...even though an all-white livery has the same amount of pixels as a lavishly painted one, it will render faster because there are fewer unique colors to assign codes to overall.  Even though the file size of both will be exactly the same...they will render in the game at different rates. 

This brings us to the natural conclusion that even though 8k textures are phenomenal to look at... 4k will get you better performance with a good trade off in quality loss (in my opinion).  Now, since I'm a painter I can easily change the maps from 8k to 4k, I can not... of course distribute them, so don't even ask. 😉   They are the painter's/inibuilds property and the EULA states that I can't redistribute.  

I'm hoping for the community, that inibuilds will ask the painters to create 4k versions, much like another popular Airbus company did with great success. 🙂

Overall..this plane is OUTSTANDING...the texture work is next level, and I'm blown away with the results! 

Steve, you‘re an excellent and well known painter and your expertise is highly appreciated on that issue 🙂!

But the problem here is that Inibuilds‘ standard textures overwhelm an RTX 4080! So they should be simply removed or the alternative textures should be standard while the 8Ks should become optional with an additional information that they can only be used with an RTX 4090 or similar!

Generally the A300 is a fine AddOn, but full of nasty bugs (LNAV not working properly, holdings sometime ridiculous, flying model of a Cessna, the here mentioned texture issue, the problems with Reverse when calibrating the throttles, …) that could have been easily prevented by doing proper beta testing before the release.

Hopefully Inibuilds will learn out of that and the product will become better by getting updates soon.

Feeding content creators like „LondonController“ with hundreds of Twitch subs to promote an unfinished product is not the right way! Instead look at the Twitch review of „BlackBox711“-THAT helps. He‘s a real world Captain.

Best regards

Stefan

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks both. The art team has been notified of your feedback.

I just want to add this is a high fidelity addon tested by numerous type rated A300 pilots and a testing team who have a lot of experience with this plane since XP. 

There are some bugs, but most are minor and have been swiftly resolved. Let me add MT320, V1 Simulations, FlightDeck2Sim all promoted the A300 and all type rated pilots.. 

Many thanks, and we will note the art feedback which is what this post is about.