Sound Feedback for the Ini team

FailCold

Hey Ini team, congratulations on the release.

I have some feedback regarding the sounds:

• The engines sound good overall, but could do with more bass at high N1 settings. These are big, powerful engines and should sound as such!
  • The engines fade at altitude, which is semi-correct - actually, the fading phenomenon is a function of the plane's TAS. As TAS increases, this should result in a slight fade but mainly a Lowpass filter being applied, so that all you hear at cruise is a gentle rumble/low frequency vibrations. This can be evidenced by the typical "bass drop" that you can hear on most planes IRL when starting descent - as the engines roll back.
  • The packs should be louder both in cockpit and throughout all parts of the cabin. There should be a noticeable increase when packs are on, and a noticeable decrease when they switch off.
  • There are no fuel pump or hydraulic sounds that I can hear - these should be audible in the mid section of the cabin, and from the outside. It would be great if the HYD pump sounds, if added, could pitch modulate according to demand, like IRL (as HYD pressure decreases with demand from FCTL surfaces, the pitch of the sound wobbles slightly). This would really bring the plane to life.

As an experienced sound engineer and frequent flyer on CF6 powered birds, I'd be very happy to do some testing and provide more targeted audio feedback if that would be helpful to the team 🙂
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FailCold said:

• The engines sound good overall, but could do with more bass at high N1 settings. These are big, powerful engines and should sound as such!
  • The engines fade at altitude, which is semi-correct - actually, the fading phenomenon is a function of the plane's TAS. As TAS increases, this should result in a slight fade but mainly a Lowpass filter being applied, so that all you hear at cruise is a gentle rumble/low frequency vibrations. This can be evidenced by the typical "bass drop" that you can hear on most planes IRL when starting descent - as the engines roll back.
  • The packs should be louder both in cockpit and throughout all parts of the cabin. There should be a noticeable increase when packs are on, and a noticeable decrease when they switch off.
  • There are no fuel pump or hydraulic sounds that I can hear - these should be audible in the mid section of the cabin, and from the outside. It would be great if the HYD pump sounds, if added, could pitch modulate according to demand, like IRL (as HYD pressure decreases with demand from FCTL surfaces, the pitch of the sound wobbles slightly). This would really bring the plane to life.

As an experienced sound engineer and frequent flyer on CF6 powered birds, I'd be very happy to do some testing and provide more targeted audio feedback if that would be helpful to the team 🙂

100% agree with these observations especially the part about the relationship between engine sound and TAS.  Another nice touch would be to vary the pack intensity slightly based on bleed pressure so when the engines spool up slightly from idle you can hear the pack sound increase slightly.

12 hours ago, FailCold said:

Regarding point #2, TAS isn't the only cause of this phenomenon. Pressurization (ie. cabin delta pressure) also plays a role. Part of the low bass rumbles are the sound waves travelling through the airframe. The High pitched whine, the one that get damped low-pass filter style, are travelling though the air from the outside. Since the outside air gets thinner... Those sound waves have a much harder time reaching the inside of the cabin.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Genista said:

Regarding point #2, TAS isn't the only cause of this phenomenon. Pressurization (ie. cabin delta pressure) also plays a role. Part of the low bass rumbles are the sound waves travelling through the airframe. The High pitched whine, the one that get damped low-pass filter style, are travelling though the air from the outside. Since the outside air gets thinner... Those sound waves have a much harder time reaching the inside of the cabin.

Great explanation, didnt know that about delta p but it does make sense.  Do know what the actual reason is for the tas related effect?

9 hours ago, pilot53 said:

Great explanation, didnt know that about delta p but it does make sense.  Do know what the actual reason is for the tas related effect?

Honestly, for the TAS one I have no explanation, I'm curious as well. 

If you want an experiment for delta P check this. You'll notice exactly this "low pass filter" effect as pressure decreases. FL300 atmospheric pressure corresponds to just below the "-10PSI" mark on the gage. -> 

Note, I believe Ini already implemented all that since the 310, the fan buzz and whistle do diseapper as we climb (it's more of a problem of global volume, maybe?)

Edited by Genista