The Update had No effect...

jpmart

Hi,

I also have the issue and followed the steps above. What I can report is if you move everything away, except your NZQN, ensure Asobo NZQN is deleted, and you clear rolling cache (not that I have it enabled), and re-boot the computer, on first run of MSFS and opening a free flight into your NZQN, the issue is gone.

However any subsequent sessions of MSFS (even fully closing MSFS) the spikes will come back. They are only NOT present after a re-boot and first session of MSFS.

If I restore my community folder, re-boot, run MSFS it is not there on the first session but on every subsequent session. So it is not an add-on problem. Lastly, my spikes are identical (same locations, same everything) to those in the photo’s above so it is not random.

I hope that helps tracking the gremlin!

Mark

Hi Again,

I have been off work on sick leave so I have had time to try and work this out.

I can make the spikes go away…

My normal graphic settings has Terrain Level of Detail set to 150. I have a RTX4080 and use Frame Generation and only really fly the PMDG 737 or the Fenix A320 and settled on that setting when I first bought the 4080 as I could not really tell the difference with higher settings however it allowed essentially everything else to be on ULTRA and smooth performance. 200 could be a bit glitchy with those airplanes. 150 not so.

However it is Terrain Level of Detail that can control the spikes. I sat and thought about it, and said to myself it is a terrain issue, so I looked in settings and I have a terrain slider, so I started moving it increments of 5, backwards from the highest setting of 400. At 400, no spikes, and I have no spikes until I get to 250. Nudge up to 255, no spikes so that is the sweet spot for the add-on however, most of us probably don’t use MSFS with Terrain Level of Detail that high. I would assume most users would leave it at default 200 or maybe bump to 250. 255 is an odd number to remove this issue however, there it is, on my PC, 255 is the integer that removes the spikes.

I hope this helps. I am sure you will fix it just as I go back to work! Which will probably be on Wednesday…

Cheers,

Mark

Negative

I gave it a try with LOD at 255, and the very first time the spikes disappeared. But then, when I made a RNAV approach to runway 23, here we go again! This time, even with LOD 400 (!) nothing changes

nzqn.jpg

Interesting, I did a circuit around Lake Wakatipu in the Caribou and it seemed to hold. I was planning a jet flight today but seems you have already found it was not a fix. However it does seem to be terrain level of detail related so I hope this is enough to give the developer a lead on, as they are reporting they cannot even get the spikes to appear in the first place to troubleshoot.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for investigating!

Unfortunately it must also be something different than that, as I have my Terrain LOD at 100 and don't see spikes 😅 We are internally testing V1.0.2 at the moment; which also doesn't have spikes for me, but as I couldn't see spikes in the first place, it might not be fixed for y'all as well. We will see.. 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought and installed the scenery today and installed it together with WU12. Did a flight just now and on approach to rwy 05 I had the spikes over the lake, which disappeared as I came closer to the runway. When I backtracked after landing and parked at gate R5, the spikes were still visible over the lake. When I closed the flight and respawned at the same gate, the spikes were gone, but I haven't done a new flight yet to confirm they're not coming back. Also I only found this thread here now and just deleted the default Asobo NZQN, so haven't done a new flight without it either.

I must say I run the graphics on "Medium" as I still have an ageing GTX 1080 GPU, and that sets the Terrain LOD to 50. But reading from the conversation above it might have nothing to do with the Terrain LOD setting.

Hope you find it.

Mathieu

On 3/12/2023 at 6:52 AM, gumbyger said:

We are internally trying to recreate the issue, but so far we have been unable to do so. I will issue an update when we can / how we know to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience this causes for the moment 😕

Have you only tried recreating it by starting a flight at NZQN or have you also tried flying into NZQN from somewhere else? Funny enough I've noticed some issues only appear when you don't actually start at the problematic area but fly into it.

@gumbygerapologies for the delayed reply I have been away with work. I have just finished updating to the new MSFS version and I didn't have the iniScenes NZQN installed as I have been using the version that comes with MSFS as it works without the spike issue. I checked after updating and it was still fine.

I then uninstalled the default version, reinstalled the iniScenes NZQN v1.0.1 and the issue immediately came back.  

Like last time, I removed my community folder and have created a new one with just iniScenes NZQN v1.0.1 so that is the only add-on with default MSFS and they appear with new version.

Regards,

Mark

On 3/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, gumbyger said:

Heya!

There was an update released for the WU12 in the queenstown area. Do any of you still have issues with the spikes after that one? @mwa05@Nimic@jpmart

Hi, with v1.0.1 installed I still have spikes, same situation of mwa05. I really love your Queenstown scenery, I don't want to come back to the default Asobo version, but those spikes really prevent to enjoy it 😢

Just installed NZQN v1.0.1 and don't see a lot of the spikes shown in the pictures from other posters, but I need to mention the massive spike that shows up beginning at about 4.5 nm from the airport rising out of the small (tri -split) pond just to the north of Runway 23's threshold.  The spike stays visible as one gets further from the airport. 

Here is a pic:

spacer.png

Hope you can fix this one since it is a real immersion killer.  Thanks.