A310 Dual engines flameout result in immediate loss of control

skypara

Good day ya'all. 

Had my first MSFS A310 emergency experience yesterday. For whatever reason ran out of fuel, resulting in dual engines flameout. I decided to  play the "Gimli glider" scenario and try to land. But to my surprise the moment the engines flamed out the aircraft lost control, went into a right side bank and unrecoverable nose down dive and subsequenty crashed. I helplessly watched all that in horror from the "reality" of my VR set while keeping the stick and rudder yanked in the opposite direction in a desperate attempt to save the day... 💀

Here's my 2 cents and question. I would assume, in such scenario the hydraulics should be able to provide at least for some time enough pressure to maintain controlability. AFAIK the A310 is equipped with a RAT which should deploy automatically and provide hyd pressure for one of the systems powering the FCS. Or at least that's what I thought.

So the question is, the crash as described is due to systems not being fully developed and/or implemented or I should have done something prior to the engines flameout? 

Ah, thanks for the update (and the RAT level location). Was looking overhead (boeing memories kicked in while falling). But also couldn't find info on the web.

How about the insta loss of controlability? I was like the ailerons jammed 20-30% to the right and countering with the manual controls did not help either.   

On 12/12/2022 at 12:55 PM, skypara said:

Ah, thanks for the update (and the RAT level location). Was looking overhead (boeing memories kicked in while falling). But also couldn't find info on the web.

How about the insta loss of controlability? I was like the ailerons jammed 20-30% to the right and countering with the manual controls did not help either.   

Yes, I experienced the same in my test. It makes sense in so far as no hydraulic power means no moving flight surfaces.

Hi, 

Thanks for your post. 

The RAT system on the 310 is not quite like the A320 or newer family. This comes down the fact it's more conventional. If you need the RAT you have to physically pull the handle either side to get it to come out. Nothing will auto trigger it to deploy. If you have AC power. Which of course in your case you didn't the GREEN PUMP and PTUs can be used in flight to power the aircraft up. 

If you wish you could deploy the RAT before engine flameout then you would have had Yellow system pressure right away and would have no loss of HYD systems. But be warned the RAT will actually stall below 140kts and pressure will scale with airspeed and when you get close to 140kts you may get less HYD pressure than you are used. 

Thank you for the explaination. You comment is indeed correct. Did some digging through the deeper section of the net (aka Google search page 2+). 

Attachning some additional info about A300/A310 RAT from a FedEx ops manual for those interested.

A300 A310 RAT4.jpg

A300 A310 RAT2.jpg

A300 A310 RAT3.jpg

A300 A310 RAT1.jpg

• Like 1