External Navigation GPS as an OPTION

Dudley Henriques

I noticed this evening that the T33 doesn't support an external navigator so my simple planned VFR flight from KILG to KSBY was a no go.
We ran into a similar problem at A2A Simulations when we were doing our P51D. Naturally we wanted to keep things WW2 in the cockpit of the 51 but after thinking it over seriously (and since I was the realism advisor on the 51) we realized that giving the end user a GPS capability would absolutely equate to our customers USING the plane more often, and we all agreed THAT was a good idea.
What I'm getting at here is simply this. And let's say I'm talking about the many end users who LOVE the classic dated panel but would really like to have access to a working GPS to use for flight planning and cross country.
Fortunately the available FREE GTN750 by PMS50 does that nicely without you having to integrate the unit into the panel of the T33. Having this available opens a whole new world of possible cross country flight for the  INIBUILD T-Bird pilots. I also have the Shrike F86 and it has the GTN750 unit available as a small open window AS AN OPTION.
I believe all that is needed to do this for everybody is to code for an external navigator in an upcoming update.
I make this suggestion fully aware that the "magic" of the T33 lies in its classic panel and not everybody wants to fly using all that glass on the modern panel.
Using the external GPS window really completes the many options available for the end user when "flying" the T33.
I hope you will consider the inclusion of the code for an external navigator in a future update.
I will tell you that I for one will use that Garmin 750 and deeply appreciate having it available as a new option.
The main point I would make about this is that the GTN750 by PMS50 would be an OPTION. It doesn't detract from the great classic panel you have provided for the T33.

Many thanks for your consideration,
Dudley Henriques

I sincerely hope that since my post above hasn't been answered that I haven't overstepped my welcome with INIBUILDS.
It wasn't my intention to imply that there were flaws with the excellent work you have done with your T-Bird. 
My "suggestion" concerning the addition of internal coding that makes an external navigator available was simply based on experience we gained at A2A when we coded our excellent warbirds for use in MSFS.
I was the realism, immersion, and system fidelity consultant to A2A on our warbirds at the time we were in FSX. During our Alpha stage in development I realized immediately that when developing a legacy warbird for use in MSFS there was a need to consider that unless we included SOME form of modern avionics in our true to life dated instrumentation the end user would be faced with a serious restriction when flying our dated warbirds in the flight simulator.
The problem we faced was that although our dated panel was authentic in all respects it left the end user with very little option for navigating within the sim using the sim's available tools. This equated to the end user having a beautiful period warbird that could really only be flown locally.
Our solution at the time was very similar to yours. We offered the end user a choice between a military configured P51D and a civilian version using updated avionics and navigation equipment.
I see the T33 has a totally modern panel which is fine. What I also see in the great work you did on the classic cockpit is that a great deal of your end users will want to fly the T33 using that classic cockpit but by doing so they could really use an external navigation applet so they could plan a flight using GPS and still have the classic pit available to enjoy.
As I said, I sincerely hope I haven't stepped on any toes by pushing this option to you. I'll leave this at that and post no more suggestions.
My very best to you and the best of luck with your T33.

Dudley Henriques

Hi @Dudley Henriques

Thanks for your suggestion. Firstly, apologies for the delay in response as the community team (me and Eddie) have been busy putting out fires in other parts of the community over the past day or so 😅

4 hours ago, Dudley Henriques said:

As I said, I sincerely hope I haven't stepped on any toes by pushing this option to you. I'll leave this at that and post no more suggestions.

No not at all! We welcome all feedback and suggestions and try out best to action whatever is practicable to do. So please do not hesitate to share anymore that you may have. I'd be more than happy to pass it on to the team for further consideration 🙂

On 9/15/2024 at 5:27 AM, Dudley Henriques said:

Fortunately the available FREE GTN750 by PMS50 does that nicely without you having to integrate the unit into the panel of the T33. Having this available opens a whole new world of possible cross country flight for the  INIBUILD T-Bird pilots. I also have the Shrike F86 and it has the GTN750 unit available as a small open window AS AN OPTION.
I believe all that is needed to do this for everybody is to code for an external navigator in an upcoming update.
I make this suggestion fully aware that the "magic" of the T33 lies in its classic panel and not everybody wants to fly using all that glass on the modern panel.
Using the external GPS window really completes the many options available for the end user when "flying" the T33.
I hope you will consider the inclusion of the code for an external navigator in a future update.
I will tell you that I for one will use that Garmin 750 and deeply appreciate having it available as a new option.
The main point I would make about this is that the GTN750 by PMS50 would be an OPTION. It doesn't detract from the great classic panel you have provided for the T33.

Gotcha. Yeah I have used the PMS GTN 750 myself extensively with some of the BlackSquare (Analog King Air) & Carenado (M20) birds and it is certainly a handy unit to have. 

We have also had some requests for integration of the TDS GTN 650/750 in the modern cockpit so I think overall support for 3rd Party Avionics is something for the team to consider for a future update.

In any case, I'll pass on your suggestion and hopefully it is feasible to implement it!
Thanks!

• Like 1

Vrishabh Sehgal ( @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

5 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

Hi @Dudley Henriques

Thanks for your suggestion. Firstly, apologies for the delay in response as the community team (me and Eddie) have been busy putting out fires in other parts of the community over the past day or so 😅

No not at all! We welcome all feedback and suggestions and try out best to action whatever is practicable to do. So please do not hesitate to share anymore that you may have. I'd be more than happy to pass it on to the team for further consideration 🙂

Gotcha. Yeah I have used the PMS GTN 750 myself extensively with some of the BlackSquare (Analog King Air) & Carenado (M20) birds and it is certainly a handy unit to have. 

We have also had some requests for integration of the TDS GTN 650/750 in the modern cockpit so I think overall support for 3rd Party Avionics is something for the team to consider for a future update.

In any case, I'll pass on your suggestion and hopefully it is feasible to implement it!
Thanks!

Thank you. I was worried I was being intrusive since no one invited me to submit suggestions on making an already fine product a bit better.
Since you asked..................    LOL.  :-))))))))))))))

One thing I would add about the 750 is that its 98% screen area increase should make the unit much easier to use while "flying" a fast jet. One of my prime reasons for recommending the 750 over the 650.
Thank you again for your reply and interest.
Dudley Henriques
Microsoft MVP for Flight Simulator 2006-2007

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I'm simply waiting to see if the 750 Garmin can be implemented as an app window for the T33 as it is for many other aircraft both civilian and military.
Integration into the panel is unnecessary to give the T-Bird GPS capability. The app serves the purpose well.
I hope you will do this as it opens the door for the sim pilot to navigate while using the classic panel as well as make frequency selection both NAV and COM a bit easier while in flight flying a fast jet.
Dudley Henriques