Throttles stuck on landing

LukeFF

I had something happen to me today that I've never experienced before. Landed normally, 1.3 G landing rate, no bounces. Speedbrakes were armed and autobrakes were set to low, LAND mode engaged. When I went to engage the reversers as I always do, though, nothing happened. We just kept going down the runway, throttles stuck in the full forward position. Moving the throttle lever on my controller did nothing, trying to engage the reversers did nothing. Eventually the plane, with warning lights going off everywhere, careened and bounced back into the sky. 

I loaded up a new flight to see if I could reproduce the problem, but of course, it landed just fine, reversers engaged normally, etc. Totally bizarre. 

Edited by LukeFF

• LukeFF changed the title to Throttles stuck on landing
7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

When I went to engage the reversers as I always do, though, nothing happened. We just kept going down the runway, throttles stuck in the full forward positio

Was Go Around triggered somehow by accident? Did you check if A/THR was disengaged at the time? The plane ignores lever input when A/THR is engaged. Haven't experienced any such issues personally on the 63 landings on this build *so far*.

Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

Posted (edited)

Yes, I'm thinking it was some weird one-off bug, because I've not had a problem since with my two ILS landings. Auto throttles were definitely on. 

Anyhow, will keep an eye out to see if it happens again. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1

And it happened again - same conditions as before, landed normally, speed brakes armed, auto brakes Low, etc, etc. Plane just went full bore down the runway and had no intention of slowing down.

There is some sort of problem here.

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

. Plane just went full bore down the runway and had no intention of slowing down.

Again, was ATHR engaged at the time of touchdown? Was it engaged whilst it was going "full bore down the runway"? What were the modes on the FMA. What was the FCU showing?

Please take screenshots at least next time you notice this at the time its happening as without any of that info its hard to say anything further.

Thanks!

Yes, both LAND mode and the ATHR system was engaged at the point of touchdown, as this was an ILS landing. I was also in selected speed mode. Speedbrakes and autobrakes were also armed.

I can't recall any other details. If if happens again I'll try to take screenshots, but that can be tricky when trying to figure out what's going on (also of course the frustration, since it was a good landing, right down the centerline with no bounces). 

Otherwise, the only consistent detail in both these incidents is that both were landings at KMEM (BM-AmSim). In between I landed without incident at FlyTampa KBOS on an ILS in the rain with zero problems. 

I saw you also discussed this issue on Discord.

And as I understand you're conducting an autoland? As in any other scenario the ATHR should be disconnected manually prior to touchdown.

As for Autoland, you need to carefully watch the mode transitions as follows:

image.thumb.png.ea32cebaecb7f745f8613a15abb8936d.png

For the A/THR to retard you need to watch for transition from LAND to FLARE then ROLL OUT modes, which will see the A/THR modes go from SPD to RETARD to MAN THR respectively.

At about RETARD, you should also manually move your hardware throttle axis to retard, as the moment this switches to MAN THR, your hardware axis position starts being fed to the sim, and if the axis is not at 0/IDLE position, then you will end up with forward thrust. (This is a sim-ism, as in the real plane the throttle levers physically move with A/THR, whereas in our sim setups they don't so we have to do this manually)

image.png.3653957b57c976f09b2d95c86fdaaed8.png

image.png.75ae4a4720102d73d52de15a1ddf5ef9.png

You will also need to watch the FMA to ensure you're not ending up in a go around state. Go Around FMA mode transitions will look like: 

image.png.710c14a1faa781c1c3cb0d81012bb167.png

The reason I asked for screenshots is to observe these FMA readings to better understand what may be happening in your case. In testing of this build specifically, we have conducted many autolands and have not noticed any major issues when conducted properly.

14 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Otherwise, the only consistent detail in both these incidents is that both were landings at KMEM (BM-AmSim). In between I landed without incident at FlyTampa KBOS on an ILS in the rain with zero problems. 

If you feel this to be an issue, perhaps setup a short flight and record the autoland. If this scenario is in fact an issue, the problem will be reproducible and you will have a clip to share in the end.

Thanks!

Thanks, and yes what I'm doing is keeping the autopilot on til about 500 feet, then clicking off the autopilot and guiding the plane down with ATHR still engaged. From what I understand, the ATHR system will disengage at about 30 feet AGL when LAND is engaged. 

EDIT: the system as I understand, will start to move the throttles to idle at about 30 ft AGL and then disengage when the wheels hit the ground, when LAND mode is engaged. 

14 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Thanks, and yes what I'm doing is keeping the autopilot on til about 500 feet, then clicking off the autopilot and guiding the plane down with ATHR still engaged. From what I understand, the ATHR system will disengage at about 30 feet AGL when LAND is engaged. 

Unlike the modern airbus, the ATHR is not to be used on the A300/310 for landing other than when coupled with AP for an autoland. This is per Airbus guidance.

AP OFF, but A/THR ON is a scenario for which there is no guidance, as such its operation is probably not guaranteed, therefore ultimately not supported. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

Unlike the modern airbus, the ATHR is not to be used on the A300/310 for landing other than when coupled with AP for an autoland. This is per Airbus guidance.

AP OFF, but A/THR ON is a scenario for which there is no guidance, as such its operation is probably not guaranteed, therefore ultimately not supported. 

Thanks!

Got it. 👍🏻

BTW, this is yet another reason why we need better documentation with these planes that explains these sorts of things. I've been landing the A300 this way since day 1 because nothing in the print documentation or official videos anywhere makes mention of this (that ATHR should remain on only for auto-landings). It would save a lot of time and frustration on the player's part if these sorts of things were explained in better detail. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1