RWY 22R Full Length Not Recognized

Andrew Miller

Hello!

I took off from RWY 22R yesterday, which has a very long displaced threshold. I was using the default ATC. When I pulled up to the hold short point on taxiway E, there was no option to request takeoff clearance. I had to pull onto the runway and taxi all the way past the threshold before the sim recognized that I was near the runway and gave me the option to request takeoff clearance. I was flying the PMDG 777 at the time, and I noticed that the TORA displayed on the EFB performance calculator (which reads runway length data from the sim) was much shorter than the actual runway length—it corresponded roughly with the intersection with taxiway G, a fair ways past the displaced threshold, at roughly the midpoint of the full runway. The default ATC gave me taxi instructions to enter the runway at G, as well (which I ignored). It seems the sim doesn’t recognize that RWY 22R exists at any point behind taxiway G.

I noticed a similar problem with RWY 13R a few weeks ago—the sim gave me taxi instructions for the displaced threshold, not the runway end, as expected.