Every landing ends with high brake temps

Hungrypilot

Firstly, let me say that I am enjoying the A300 very much.  You all did excellent work and it shows.

Question, however... every landing, even with autobrakes low, I have to turn on the brake fans because of the alert that temps are high.  Today, I landed autobrakes low with reverse thrust and only clicked the brakes one quick time to disengage the autobrakes.  5 seconds later I got the temp alert... what can be done to alleviate this?

Hi @Hungrypilot

We currently have it tuned per IRL data for the A306. The BRAKE FANs exist for this reason, and are important equipment on this plane (unless you got time to wait for your brakes to cool).

Generally, the slower you are, the less energy there is to lose using brakes, and the less heat will be generated as a result. In short, more flap, more reverser, less brake.

Turn on brake fans as soon as you vacate. Do note that even with them ON, the brakes will continue to heat up as they try to dissipate the energy stored in them, and eventually they will reach equilibrium and the fans will start taking effect.

Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

Posted (edited)

Wait, so lightly tapping the brakes is supposed to send the brake temps into the red, every time? That seems odd. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 3:44 AM, richboy2307 said:

Hi @Hungrypilot

We currently have it tuned per IRL data for the A306. The BRAKE FANs exist for this reason, and are important equipment on this plane (unless you got time to wait for your brakes to cool).

Generally, the slower you are, the less energy there is to lose using brakes, and the less heat will be generated as a result. In short, more flap, more reverser, less brake.

Turn on brake fans as soon as you vacate. Do note that even with them ON, the brakes will continue to heat up as they try to dissipate the energy stored in them, and eventually they will reach equilibrium and the fans will start taking effect.

Thanks!

Thanks for responding.  There's definitely something out-of-tune for the way brake temps are handled by the 306 in the sim.  Autobrakes low, at full flaps, not touching the brakes until 40kts, then tapping them one time should not result in high temps.

On 6/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, richboy2307 said:

Hi @Hungrypilot

Thanks!

The brake fans on the A306 were an option so there are many A306's out there without them. IRL It's rare to get a brakes hot warning at normal landing weights with autobrakes LO using reverse thrust and disengaging autobrakes at around 60 knots. The jets I work on without fans obviously have warm brakes, <300°C, but rarely do I see a brakes hot warning unless the landing weights were higher than normal or the flight crew tried to make an early high speed exit. We also use the brake fans after arrival to cool the brakes down to be able to carry out our layover cold tire pressure checks sooner.

Obviously if you're landing at higher weights/speeds with LO/MED selected you would more than likely get a brakes hot warning. Using MAX WILL give you a brakes hot warning and more than likely melted fuse plugs. 

In short, you won't get a brakes HOT warning on "every" landing with autobrakes LO selected and using reverse thrust.

Cheers,

John (A300 AME)

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 1:27 AM, LukeFF said:

Wait, so lightly tapping the brakes is supposed to send the brake temps into the red, every time? That seems odd. 

If you set autobreak, tapping will actually release the break.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2024 at 9:04 PM, Hungrypilot said:

Thanks for responding.  There's definitely something out-of-tune for the way brake temps are handled by the 306 in the sim.  Autobrakes low, at full flaps, not touching the brakes until 40kts, then tapping them one time should not result in high temps.

The same here, version 1.1.9.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:34 AM, CF104 said:

The brake fans on the A306 were an option so there are many A306's out there without them. IRL It's rare to get a brakes hot warning at normal landing weights with autobrakes LO using reverse thrust and disengaging autobrakes at around 60 knots. The jets I work on without fans obviously have warm brakes, <300°C, but rarely do I see a brakes hot warning unless the landing weights were higher than normal or the flight crew tried to make an early high speed exit. We also use the brake fans after arrival to cool the brakes down to be able to carry out our layover cold tire pressure checks sooner.

Obviously if you're landing at higher weights/speeds with LO/MED selected you would more than likely get a brakes hot warning. Using MAX WILL give you a brakes hot warning and more than likely melted fuse plugs. 

In short, you won't get a brakes HOT warning on "every" landing with autobrakes LO selected and using reverse thrust.

Cheers,

John (A300 AME)

Sounds very reasonable, completelly agree, lets seen if newer versions after 1.1.9 tune it.

As stated, we have it tuned per IRL data set available to us. If you have any data source to the contrary please do share. Failing that there will be no changes made. Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 1:52 PM, richboy2307 said:

As stated, we have it tuned per IRL data set available to us. If you have any data source to the contrary please do share. Failing that there will be no changes made. Thanks!

Well, My seven years of IRL experience on the A300 gives me a different perspective on the matter. I'll dig through our maintenance materials and see if these may differ from your IRL data.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1