Idle Reverse Thrust

UpUpandAway

Is there a way to toggle idle reverse, like in the real thing where lifting the triggers does just that?

I've set my Bravo up so the (Airbus) reverse levers toggle "hold reverse thrust" - I can then either pull them back ("decrease throttle") which opens the reversers and applies full power, or I can, somewhat unrealistically, move the axes forward and regulate the reverse thrust using the normal axes. The problem is, just lifting the levers keeps the engines in forward idle.

In most cases, I just want idle reverse.

If this isn't possible in MSFS, I'd happily buy AAO or similar if there's an LVAR for it.

Hi @UpUpandAway

I'm not certain if you can do this entirely via MSFS Control options, but I have mine set via FSUIPC/SPAD.next as follows:

- Axis 1 assigned to Throttle 1 Axis (same for 2)
- EFB Reverse on Axis = NO
- One of the the reverser lever button (circled in the image) set to TOGGLE THROTTLE REVERSE THRUST (don't assign both as they will just cancel each other out). This will basically act as DEPLOY/STOW for your reversers. 

So essentially, once I lift the reverser button (circled) on my hardware throttle lever, the position of both the throttle axis is basically controlling how much reverse thrust I want (as opposed to forward thrust as it normally does). At Idle it would be IDLE REV and full forward it would be MAX REV as long as that reverser button (circled) is lifted. When I'm done with reversers, I'll simply lower the reverser button (circled) on my hardware throttle lever, and this will then allow the levers to work for forward thrust as normal again. 
image.thumb.png.f93272637e05ba98c185948f61c311ec.pngimage.thumb.png.dd3f9ca2f7a94bb952a13fda70ba2dc1.png

image.png

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

Hi @richboy2307,

Thanks for the suggestion, I was doing a similar thing with "hold throttle reverse", but I'm assuming in your IDLE REV screenshot where the levers are still at idle, the doors don't actually deploy. I have to move the levers forward quite a bit to enter the yellow reverse zone before the reversers actually deploy. Or I pull them back into the "button" zone and "reduce throttle" repeat to max reverse.

When I pull them back to idle in reverse axis mode, they deactivate immediately, so if I want to keep idle reverse, I need to stop above idle somewhere.

Is there an LVAR perhaps for idle reverse and max reverse? I could set up the flip lever to set idle reverse, pull back into the button zone to set full reverse and back to idle reverse when the "button" is released.

3 hours ago, UpUpandAway said:

I was doing a similar thing with "hold throttle reverse", but I'm assuming in your IDLE REV screenshot where the levers are still at idle, the doors don't actually deploy. I have to move the levers forward quite a bit to enter the yellow reverse zone before the reversers actually deploy.

In my defence, FSUIPC has this labelled as "Toggle Reverse Thrust" for some reason on their mappings (lol), so I assumed it would be the same name on MSFS. But you're right the "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust" binding needs to be used in MSFS instead. (See screenshot for MSFS controls setup)

In either way it is setup, to achieve IDLE REV with reverser doors deployed, I have to move the throttles forward after lifting the reverse lever button (circled), but only ever so slightly. This is seen in the Spad.next screenshot - the bar fills up fully red at 100%/full fwd position. If you move the throttle lever axis back to 0%, then reversers will stow themselves so it does need some input above 0% for reversers to deploy.

I've also enclosed a screenshot of the plane's throttle quadrant and you can see its basically just below 0, yet the reversers are deployed.  You don't have to be significantly in the yellow range for it to work.

Or I pull them back into the "button" zone and "reduce throttle" repeat to max reverse.

Right, I don't use that bottom button zone for reversers. On my setup I use those instead for toggling fuel cutoff switches, so I can shutdown/startup engines using the Bravo TQ.

Is there an LVAR perhaps for idle reverse and max reverse? I could set up the flip lever to set idle reverse, pull back into the button zone to set full reverse and back to idle reverse when the "button" is released.

While that would be ideal, unfortunately as far as we know there aren't currently any LVARs that can be written to externally for throttle control. ``XMLVAR_Throttle1Position`` (2 for Eng 2) is what controls the levers currently, with 1.0 being IDLE, 0.0 being MAX REV, so ~0.95 being IDLE REV.

But I've tried via SPAD.next atleast and its unable to write to this LVAR reliably. It may set the value for a second or so but it will then revert back to original value. Do let me know if you have any success though.

Thanks!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

Thanks @richboy2307, after seeing your other post about the LVARs in-sim, I found the same ones you tried, but couldn't get them to work with the AAO demo version. I'll stick to the trigger and moving slightly for the time being.

I think the external animation may be out of sync though, the ECAM only indicates REV (along with the associated sound change) when the lever datum reaches the yellow horizontal line just above the R.

• Like 1