ILS not coming up

Frafty

Has anyone else had issues where, despite the frequency being present in the RAD/NAV page, the ILS doesn't come up? Flying into EDDB did an approach into 7R via the ILS, it didn't show up, and then did one for 25L via the ILS, and it didn't show up. 

What I did notice is the frequencies in the RAD/NAV page have a 5 at the end and would show a different identifier. E.g., 25L's frequency at EDDB is 109.5 with IBSW as the identifier. The frequency in the RAD/NAV page would be 109.95 with something different as the identifier.

Is the .5 added at the end the issue? Or is it just this airport? Or is it just me that's having this odd issue .

Hi @Frafty, the MCDU autofills the frequency as set by the airport scenery itself. However if there is some discrepancy between the airport data vs the actually ILS LOC/GS set-up per the dev or navdata then the end result is what you see.

So its best to cross-check what is auto-filled and make the appropriate corrections where necessary as this is always a possibility with faulty/outdated scenery data.

Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

9 hours ago, richboy2307 said:

Hi @Frafty, the MCDU autofills the frequency as set by the airport scenery itself. However if there is some discrepancy between the airport data vs the actually ILS LOC/GS set-up per the dev or navdata then the end result is what you see.

So its best to cross-check what is auto-filled and make the appropriate corrections where necessary as this is always a possibility with faulty/outdated scenery data.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I actually tried to correct the frequency but was met with an MCDU message that prevented me from making the change. I'll be on the lookout for another instance and will report accordingly.

• Like 1

Did you type in the Frequency in /XXX.XX format? Or were you trying to use the ILS identifier (e.g. IBSW)? 

However yes if you do encounter an issue, please do report back with a screenshot as well as the data entry tried. Thanks!

Actually, I am not sure the NAV radio autotune function is doing what it should. I have done a handful of flights in the last couple of days, and while the ILS frequency for the departing airport was always automatically selected in the FMS RAD/NAV page, I have always had to set the landing ILS frequency manually (I have been up to almost intercepting the localizer and still the autotune wouldn't set the landing ILS). The correct approach and runway where always selected in route planning - I usually do that before take-off. Just typing in the Identifier from the ILS chart always set the correct frequency and course, though.

Right now I am flying from BIKF to LFMN, and I am noticing something else which is strange and might be related. Consider the two screenshots below: I am 48 miles out from STN VOR in northern Scotland, and the NAV radio autotune has selected SOY (the Rwy 36 localizer frequency) for Stornoway airport for both NAV 1 and NAV 2. Why doesn't it tune in STN VOR? Why does it tune in localizer frequencies on the NAV radios at all? Also note on the second screenshot that the Rwy 19 ILS from BIKF (i.e. departing airport) is still selected under ILS, even though departure is more than an hour past. I don't know when the ILS frequency is supposed to updatge, however.

Nav.thumb.png.635bfcc5ce6d7209cb09592c6125c2c4.png

Radio_FMS.png.8c970b8f440f460c1f6a211f0a515575.png

ILS autofrequency are always wrong. I suppose the problem coming from no navigraph integration. Often we have to manually digit the exact ILS of destination.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:03 PM, WernerAir said:

I don't know when the ILS frequency is supposed to updatge, however.

Currently, it should update every time you select a procedure in the MCDU. The choice is further dependent on your current 'Phase of Flight', such that in and before CLB phase, it will prioritize tuning the departure runways ILS for SRS/RWY. It will not auto-tune to the arrival runway's ILS until you select an approach procedure, and you are in CRZ (or beyond) phases of flight.

Hence it is recommended to re-program the approach in your MCDU once airborne and enroute. If you only set it during pre-flight, then it would have tuned the departure runway's ILS and will remain so.

In general, you should cross-check the frequency set as part of your descent planning anyways. But as mentioned above, the frequency itself auto-filled is a function of the scenery and the navdata that comes coded in it, as opposed to anything we are doing in the aircraft.  This limitation holds true for any aircraft that is not using its own custom-made navdatabase. 

On 5/31/2024 at 3:03 PM, WernerAir said:

NAV radio autotune has selected SOY (the Rwy 36 localizer frequency) for Stornoway airport for both NAV 1 and NAV 2. Why doesn't it tune in STN VOR? Why does it tune in localizer frequencies on the NAV radios at all?

With regards to the auto-tuning logic for NAV1/2, it is programmed to pick, from a filtered list of VORDME/VOR/DME, one station that is closest to your PPOS (or closest to your next waypoint, whichever would be more precise) at the time it is making a selection.

The filtered list of VORDME/VOR/DME that it picks from however, is something the sim itself generates. This again falls back on using the default navdatabase as opposed to a custom one. So if for whatever reason the sim has included SOY (LOCDME) in that list (be it on default or Navigraph-supplemented navdata), then the plane is going to consider it a valid option, and tune into it, as at the time it was probably closer to you than STN.

Thanks!

Currently, it should update every time you select a procedure in the MCDU. The choice is further dependent on your current 'Phase of Flight', such that in and before CLB phase, it will prioritize tuning the departure runways ILS for SRS/RWY. It will not auto-tune to the arrival runway's ILS until you select an approach procedure, and you are in CRZ (or beyond) phases of flight.

It's not true. I select the approach during CRZ and the ILS frequency are ALWAYS wrong. I have to update it in the NAV/RAD page with the correct ID of the chosen ILS. So it's true that it tunes something, but what it tunes is a wrong ID.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 8:19 PM, fbasili said:

So it's true that it tunes something, but what it tunes is a wrong ID

Thanks for confirming my statement. It "updates" with some "ILS data" every time you select a procedure. The 'phase of flight' determines whether that "ILS data" should be read from Departure Airport or Arrival Airport files. 

On 6/3/2024 at 8:19 PM, fbasili said:

ILS frequency are ALWAYS wrong.

But if you continue further to read the third paragraph, you'd notice:

On 6/3/2024 at 5:55 PM, richboy2307 said:

But as mentioned above, the frequency itself auto-filled is a function of the scenery and the navdata that comes coded in it, as opposed to anything we are doing in the aircraft.  This limitation holds true for any aircraft that is not using its own custom-made nav-database. 

In other words, when you select a procedure, the MCDU is calling on a default MSFS function that pulls the "ILS data" from an airport.
The "ILS data" it pulls, is as defined by:

• the scenery itself (default or add-on) OR
  • some other scenery files (as added by Navigraph or other navdata addons).*

*The priority of the load order between both of the above is also not something the a320neo can control.

There is no independent nav-database that the airplane is calling upon (e.g. in addons such as Fenix or PMDG which you can update via Navigraph Hub). So the "fix" to this issue is to ensure the scenery data and additional navdata is not in conflict, and appropriately taking precedence. 

Hope that helps you to better understand the issue.
Thanks!

On 6/4/2024 at 4:38 PM, richboy2307 said:

There is no independent nav-database that the airplane is calling upon

Is there any chance that you are going to use an independent navdata in the future?

Thank you

57 minutes ago, geckuz said:

Is there any chance that you are going to use an independent navdata in the future?

For our aircraft (e.g. A300/A350) we probably could theoretically, but obviously no for Microsoft products like the A310/320neo.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, Luvbeers said:

Is there a reason that the ILS crs is pretty much always off by 1° compared with charts?

Magnetic Variation. If the sim doesn't update its MAGVAR data over a long enough time period (not sure what data MSFS2020 is using), then discrepancies can occur.