Honeycomb TQ: IAS Knob Causes Full Throttle

Fab10

Hi,

This is very odd.

My first encounter with the A300 wasn't great given that both engines went to full thrust immediately after start-up irrespective of the position of the throttles themselves.

The throttle calibration was straightforward and my throttle setup has no special commands applied (it's pretty much default except for Parking Brake).

Even if starting at the gate Cold and Dark or with Ready for Take-Off applied, the engines did the same; the throttle position indicators were at idle and moved properly with throttle position and yet the engines were at full throttle.

After a (long) while I discovered that this is an interaction issue with the Honeycomb AP mode knob being turned to IAS (left hand knob set to position 17 as shown in MSFS settings). Note that the autopilot and autothrottle are OFF and that the moment the knob is returned to HDG or any other mode allows the throttles to return to idle.

Here's a handheld video to show my Honeycomb unit along with the in-sim screen (hope it's clear):

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mk5dnzljcxgmbmvssezmm/IB-A300-MSFS-Honeycomb-IAS-Knob.mov?rlkey=2np0wale2buwc7qx19y0jz7f0&dl=0

Thank-you,

Fabio

That just happend to me again. First on approach to LHBP and I crashed into the mountain. And second time on approach to LGAV I selected IAS in the TQ and I started loosing power. The AT was on and the speed suddenly decreased. I almost crashed but when I managed to reach the runway and land the power went max and I couldn't stop. I set reverse trust, moved the throttle but It stayed on max power.

This has to be an assignment issue.  I use Axis and Ohs and have never seen this.  My MSFS controller profiles are all blank except for a few view commands assigned to hat switches.  

Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

logo_130208.png

Is that comment evidence based and do you speak for INI Builds?

Please could you set the AP knob to IAS mode on your Honeycomb TQ but without Axes & Ohs running as this would be useful information to share?

At the end of the day, users cannot buy A&Os for the sake of a single aircraft, and we are essentially exploring default sim settings here.

I have several MSFS profiles setup, and this particular Airbus centric setup is fine for the A310, FBW, and Fenix though not for the A300.

My profiles simply swap reverser preferences and gear setting for PMDG requirements otherwise they are default.

1 hour ago, Fab10 said:

Is that comment evidence based and do you speak for INI Builds?

Please could you set the AP knob to IAS mode on your Honeycomb TQ but without Axes & Ohs running as this would be useful information to share?

At the end of the day, users cannot buy A&Os for the sake of a single aircraft, and we are essentially exploring default sim settings here.

I have several MSFS profiles setup, and this particular Airbus centric setup is fine for the A310, FBW, and Fenix though not for the A300.

My profiles simply swap reverser preferences and gear setting for PMDG requirements otherwise they are default.

Where do you see anything that indicates I work for INI? No, I will not set my HC Bravo to IAS mode without Axis and Ohs running.  I don't care about what happens when it does not run as all of my in sim profiles are blank, as they deserve to be with how wonky and limited they are.  I am telling you that mine works.  Users would not buy AAO for the "sake of one aircraft", but for the sake of their entire sim experience.  I will guarantee you that I do things on ALL my aircraft that you cannot do without AAO.  For example I do not have to have to remember what profile to use, AAO does that for me. 

Choices come with consequences, either right now or later.  The more complex aircraft get the less useful the in sim controller assignments will be (btw, I can use those too with Axis and Ohs, if needed/wanted).

Finally, my comment is evidence based as evidenced by how well my controls work with the A300 and every other aircraft I use. 

• Like 1

logo_130208.png

8 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Where do you see anything that indicates I work for INI? No, I will not set my HC Bravo to IAS mode without Axis and Ohs running.  I don't care about what happens when it does not run as all of my in sim profiles are blank, as they deserve to be with how wonky and limited they are.  I am telling you that mine works.  Users would not buy AAO for the "sake of one aircraft", but for the sake of their entire sim experience.  I will guarantee you that I do things on ALL my aircraft that you cannot do without AAO.  For example I do not have to have to remember what profile to use, AAO does that for me. 

Choices come with consequences, either right now or later.  The more complex aircraft get the less useful the in sim controller assignments will be (btw, I can use those too with Axis and Ohs, if needed/wanted).

Finally, my comment is evidence based as evidenced by how well my controls work with the A300 and every other aircraft I use. 

I couldn’t help but notice the big brash banner at the bottom of your signature to correctly place you in your niche.

If you are willing to help, please do so, otherwise don’t waste time with things beyond your capacity.

Cheers. 

7 hours ago, Morgi said:

That just happend to me again. First on approach to LHBP and I crashed into the mountain. And second time on approach to LGAV I selected IAS in the TQ and I started loosing power. The AT was on and the speed suddenly decreased. I almost crashed but when I managed to reach the runway and land the power went max and I couldn't stop. I set reverse trust, moved the throttle but It stayed on max power.

Yes, this is very strange; thanks for confirming this is not a one-off. 
It took me a while to find the culprit, and now that I know to not use the Honeycomb TQ AP controls, I can at least fly the A300. 
My profiles are pretty much default other than reversers, so hopefully INI Builds will be able to confirm and offer a solution. 

54 minutes ago, Fab10 said:

I couldn’t help but notice the big brash banner at the bottom of your signature to correctly place you in your niche.

If you are willing to help, please do so, otherwise don’t waste time with things beyond your capacity.

Cheers. 

I gave you a suggestion on fixing this and other problems.  You don't want to listen.  That is pretty brash.  Glad you like my banner.  

• Like 1

logo_130208.png

2 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I gave you a suggestion on fixing this and other problems.  You don't want to listen.  That is pretty brash.  Glad you like my banner.  

I’ve left your posts largely unread as I figured, based on your initial narrative, that they’d contain little useful technical content.

At the end of the day, I have A&Os and FSUIPC, but after much early experimentation, my preference is to leave the sim to manage assignments as it does this very adequately, and this is largely the point.

The A300 should work seamlessly with default assignments and systems, and this specific issue seems to indicate a faulty interaction with default settings.

Simply, I asked you to try the AP IAS knob without firing up A&Os, but you felt unable to assist, so I must await clarification & confirmation elsewhere.

I have asked the mods to close this thread as I really don’t want to start 2024 in this way, and I hope that we might agree on this.

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, Fab10 said:

I’ve left your posts largely unread as I figured, based on your initial narrative, that they’d contain little useful technical content.

At the end of the day, I have A&Os and FSUIPC, but after much early experimentation, my preference is to leave the sim to manage assignments as it does this very adequately, and this is largely the point.

The A300 should work seamlessly with default assignments and systems, and this specific issue seems to indicate a faulty interaction with default settings.

Simply, I asked you to try the AP IAS knob without firing up A&Os, but you felt unable to assist, so I must await clarification & confirmation elsewhere.

I have asked the mods to close this thread as I really don’t want to start 2024 in this way, and I hope that we might agree on this.

Cheers.

Good.  You do you.  Just don't get upset when the issues continue.  The consequences are on you. 

logo_130208.png

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Good.  You do you.  Just don't get upset when the issues continue.  The consequences are on you. 

With such poor “throw more money at the problem” advice, I’d expect no less. Happily, there are better ways of problem solving, which I’d be delighted to not share with you, so don’t ask as that way you’ll not be offended. 

• Like 1

I will add that no-one is under any obligation to take thread based advice, and whilst your offering may work for you, the underlying issue still needs to be addressed with the result that you may need to revise your A&Os mappings.

So, instead of being a trooper and helping, you’ve been advocating your solution needlessly and to the detriment of this thread, and getting all uppity in the process.

The reason for me posting is to make INI Builds aware of this as a potential issue for them to investigate and address as required.

The idea was this to help INI Builds, their A300 product, and their user base.

With that, I’m out.