CTD after update

alxvown

@alxvown

You likely need to clear MSFS's roaming files, after SU10, 99% of users files were not re-newed, and doubled up, since content.xml no longer structures sceneries.

(drive):\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

in here, you will need to delete these two items in the below screenshot. 
(If you are hesitant on deleting these, just move them out of this folder onto your desktop, or somewhere, for peace of mind.)

*NOTE - Upon deleting these files, re-run Navigraph NavData center, there will be an update if you have not done so since SU10, and re-install your AIRAC cycle, this will re-generate the content.xml for navigraph only, as it relies on it.

Load up the sim, these files will regenerate upon restarting MSFS. 
9/10 users will see a massive performance increase across the entire sim.

Also note, this is not something specific to KSAT, or iniscene packages specifically, it affects every package you install as well as the base MSFS packages, performance increase across the board entirely. This should be done EVERY update MSFS receives, to ensure nominal performance.

Worth mentioning, if you utilize a roaming cache, delete and re-generate it every update as well, or opt to not use it, as I do.

Screenshot_69.png

Edited by wickedbacon

Did some further research. Since SU10 update there is no way to regenerate the content.xml after delete. Not sure if this affects your advise. I tried opening the sim again after trying the steps again and same message.

18 minutes ago, alxvown said:

Did some further research. Since SU10 update there is no way to regenerate the content.xml after delete. Not sure if this affects your advise. I tried opening the sim again after trying the steps again and same message.

On my above post, this was explained. The further explaination, MSFS no longer uses the content.xml, it is GONE by default now.
Only addons that require a content.xml to over-write base files can generate one. Navigraph is an example of an addon that requires the content.xml, and if you use it, load the navdata center app, there will be an update, and when you update the AIRAC, it generates the content.xml for you.

3 hours ago, wickedbacon said:

@alxvown

You likely need to clear MSFS's roaming files, after SU10, 99% of users files were not re-newed, and doubled up, since content.xml no longer structures sceneries.

*NOTE - Upon deleting these files, re-run Navigraph NavData center, there will be an update if you have not done so since SU10, and re-install your AIRAC cycle, this will re-generate the content.xml for navigraph only, as it relies on it.

1 minute ago, alxvown said:

I have rolling cache off and have cleared the cache manually and still no fix 😞

I owe you an apology! Though, deleting the scenerycache folder is always recommended on updates!

This is the correct folder to delete, Rookie mistake, been explaining this for days! 😅

image.thumb.jpeg.e5a53e337fdfbb7cd4f8780f8d886f2b.jpeg

Attached below is a file view of the indexes folder, if you open yours, you will likely have a plethora of files in there that follow the naming convention such as "FIlexxxx" Those are depracated now, and users I've assisted the last few days have all had those files still present, as well as content.xml, which has the same naming conventions as they used to be in that xml, but separated as index files in the SceneryIndexes folder.

Screenshot_2.jpg

2 minutes ago, alxvown said:

Just played around with deleting that folder 

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (40).png

What GPU? I may be blind but I don't see it listed there.

Even with my 2080ti, I don't touch ultra textures, that is most definitely the cause.

Stuttering will be because of Terrain LOD, that's completely CPU based, and in heavy photogrammetry area, even with all the decimation, I leave it happy at 100.
Here are my settings, System specs currently are:

i9 11900k @ 5.3ghz
64gb ddr4 g.skillz RAM
RTX 2080ti

Screenshot_68.png

Ah shoot! I have a RTX 2070 super if that is what you were asking. And that is too bad that the scenery can't run smoothly in ultra. All of my other payware sceneries work fine. EGLL obviously has some issues but that is mainly because of the city optimisation issues.

6 minutes ago, alxvown said:

Ah shoot! I have a RTX 2070 super if that is what you were asking. And that is too bad that the scenery can't run smoothly in ultra. All of my other payware sceneries work fine. EGLL obviously has some issues but that is mainly because of the city optimisation issues.

HIgh uses 100% albedo (Color) resolution and 50% normal map/PBR map, it is essential especially with higher hitting packages, KSAT at ultra is somewhere around 6GB of textures, you cut that in half and lose barely noticable/un-noticeable quality. I would literally, only ever use ultra if I was running a 3090TI, with it's 24GB of VRAM.

Edited by wickedbacon

1 minute ago, wickedbacon said:

HIgh uses 100% albedo (Color) resolution and 50% normal map/PBR map, it is essential especially with higher hitting packages, KSAT at ultra is somewhere around 6GB of textures, you cut that in half and lose barely noticable/un-noticeable quality. I would literally, only ever use ultra if I was running a 3090TI, with it's 24GB of VRAM.

Let me adjust the settings to the ones you reccomend! Thanks for being so patient 🙂

4 minutes ago, alxvown said:

Update: finally got a full take off roll without any error messages. Will be playing around with settings to see what works and looks best bc I miss my lovely ground world textures at 200 LOD haha 😉 

I'm super happy to hear that! Terrain LOD over the course of the sim has turned into a massive stutter-enducer, hopefully they find a happy median!

• JoshF locked this topic