Disappointing engine sounds

F0R2

A huge part of the immersion in flight simulator are the sounds.  Unfortunately the sounds for the IniBuilds P-40F’s engine sound like they were recorded on a 2006 Toshiba laptop placed inside a padded box, particularly at lower rpms.  This aircraft is advertised as having sounds made using recordings of the actual aircraft.  While I have no way of outright disproving that claim, it is misleading at best considering the quality of those sounds is so egregious compared to the standard you expect from inibuilds products.  It would be nice to get some updated engine sounds that do not totally destroy the immersion like the current sounds do.

Edited by F0R2

1 hour ago, F0R2 said:

A huge part of the immersion in flight simulator are the sounds.  Unfortunately the sounds for the IniBuilds P-40F’s engine sound like they were recorded on a 2006 Toshiba laptop placed inside a padded box, particularly at lower rpms.  This aircraft is advertised as having sounds made using recordings of the actual aircraft.  While I have no way of outright disproving that claim, it is misleading at best considering the quality of those sounds is so egregious compared to the standard you expect from inibuilds products.  It would be nice to get some updated engine sounds that do not totally destroy the immersion like the current sounds do.

Hi. Thanks for this candid feedback.

Can you provide a reference as to what you expect the sound to mirror?

Hello, thanks for the response.

The Reno p51, for example.  The engine sound is crisp and has a bit of bass to it.  It isn’t perfect, but it is accurate and doesn’t sound muffled or low res.  Considering the p-40f and p-51d share the Merlin engine, I would be satisfied if the p40 just used the p51 sounds.  It’s just the way that they are now is, like I said, disappointing.  Xbox is down at the moment so I cannot log on to listen again to get any more specific about what I am hearing, but if I can come up with anything other than it sounding “low res and muffled”, I will reply with a better description.

So now that I can actually log onto Msfs again, I want to make some corrections to my previous posts since I was only writing from memory and made some mistakes.  So the engine itself actually sounds pretty good in an external view from behind the aircraft, although it is mostly inaudible in most other camera positions, with the exception of inside the cockpit where the sound is mostly masked by the sound of the prop, which seems to be the actual culprit when it comes to the poor quality.  It is especially noticeable if you let the engine idle in cockpit view or rotate the external camera to the front of the aircraft.  At higher rpms, the quality problem seems to get better. Also, the startup sound effect has a clear cut off, exposing that it is just a short recorded file playing during start-up.

The startup sound is disappointingly brief but I can't say I've experienced any of the other issues mentioned - it's a better replication of Merlin sounds than I've had before in any sim, but to be fair I've not tried the Reno Mustang yet.