Glide Slope does not work at Canadian airports

Trane

I've been flying over Canada for a few days, but every time I choose a runway with ILS:
1) the Primary Flight Display indicates distance 0.00
2) the Localizer works correctly
3) the G/S does not come into action and I am forced to switch to manual mode by disconnecting the AP

All of this happens at every Canadian airport
For your info and proof, today I chose runaway 29 in Calgary (CYYC)

Thanks a lot

Hi @Trane

On 7/8/2024 at 9:30 PM, Trane said:

1) the Primary Flight Display indicates distance 0.00

For your example of Runway29 at CYYC, if you look at the approach plate you'll note that ILS (IAQ 110.9) does not have any DME associated with it. This is why you see 0.0 on your PFD.

image.png.06f21a3eb784e04a7174a136ce08d83b.png

Instead the approach uses a separate source for DME (IGY 110.55), and you can see that mentioned as the distance read-out for all the corresponding waypoints as well.

image.thumb.png.5e1e96831aa036910705a448923de685.png

So in this scenario, you'd tune the RADNAV page on the MCDU as follows:

- IAQ/110.90 in the ILS/FREQ section
- IGY/110.55 (enter it as /110.55) in either VOR1/VOR2 section on the top (as you prefer)

image.png.80ae5b631f3eac3167ae9f29d2747f60.png

Once you see that, enable VOR on the Glareshield and you will use that DME on the bottom left/right of your ND instead.

image.png.cc899ffb1b693837b4661fba53db2836.png

On 7/8/2024 at 9:30 PM, Trane said:

3) the G/S does not come into action and I am forced to switch to manual mode by disconnecting the AP

image.png.52e6702086b1d768a7ca1faffec405fd.png

I am not noticing this issue, just tested at CYYC RWY 29. Please ensure your RADNAV page is setup properly, that you arm APPR and intercept the glide from below the glideslope (it won't capture if you're already above it).

Are you using Default or Navigraph Navdata? Also are you using any sceneries for the airports where you notice this issue?
Also ensure your sceneries are up to date and do not have any add-on affecting all the airports, that may be causing conflicts.

Thanks!

Vrishabh Sehgal @Richboy2307 )
Community Team Member & Tester
IniBuilds Ltd. | inibuilds.com

Thanks a lot for the missing DME indication. Maybe I'm used to fly over european airports, where ILS and DME generally have the same frequency.

Talking about charts, I use ICAO ones; but I admit that American aiports charts are quite different from others about the right altitude for intercepting the glideslope. I have to study...
No add-on sceneries at all.

Thank you so much,

Marco.

• Like 1