ATIS reports need a different source

LukeFF

Right now it looks like ATIS reports are coming from somewhere like VATSIM. This is very suboptimal, as the number of ATIS reports they have online at any one time is far less than those available through other sources. Tried KMEM and KTPA tonight and both came back with no information - even though it's easy enough to pull up their current ATIS reports from other sources.

5 hours ago, ab145 said:

Not sure there is any other public ATIS source other than VATSIM and IVAO that can be fed into the sim directly.

If one has a Navigraph subscription I'd assume that would/could be a source as well.

1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

If one has a Navigraph subscription I'd assume that would/could be a source as well.

Not really. Even Navigraph only provides the ATIS if the corresponding VATSIM station is online. Maybe BeyondATC have something planned, but I'm not sure.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ab145 said:

Not really. Even Navigraph only provides the ATIS if the corresponding VATSIM station is online.

I have never seen that be the case. There has been many a time - just in the last week - where I have a real-world ATIS report from Navigraph in their Charts app but none from VATSIM.

EDIT: Tampa right now for example: two real-world ATIS reports but none from VATSIM:

image.png.f1656eb62dae333c0c586cf6526d0b19.png

Edited by LukeFF

On 4/3/2024 at 12:05 AM, LukeFF said:

where I have a real-world ATIS report from Navigraph in their Charts app but none from VATSIM.

Huh, seems US airports do have real world ATIS available on Navigraph. I rarely fly in the US, so wasn't aware of this feature. Just checked a couple of Random airports in the Europe and Asia, and they don't have it available. For this to work, I think navigraph needs to provide an API or some kind of interface for aircraft devs to pull the data.

13 hours ago, ab145 said:

Huh, seems US airports do have real world ATIS available on Navigraph. I rarely fly in the US, so wasn't aware of this feature. Just checked a couple of Random airports in the Europe and Asia, and they don't have it available. For this to work, I think navigraph needs to provide an API or some kind of interface for aircraft devs to pull the data.

Yes, that would be nice.