Issues with navaids set on the PROG page

mcnobody

Hello iniBuilds team,

I have got two issues with radio navaids which are manually set on the PROG page of the MCDU.

1. It seems like VORs which are DME-only can't be set manually but are automatically tuned by the MCDU. For example DMN, DMS (both at EDDM) or ALF (EDDH). If I enter these, the MCDU gives an error message: NAVAID NOT IN DATABASE.

2. I had two occasions where a manually set VOR was overwritten by the MCDU i. e. while approaching KMEM (MEM VOR). I programmed MEM in quite early. Checking it later, suddenly another VOR/frequency was tuned in.

I am not sure if both issues are replicating the aircraft's behaviour or can be regarded as errors. In my eyes these functions are quite essential for performing a proper flight management.

Best regards,

Christian

• Like 1

I don't use VOR navigation, with the radios, much because of LNAV.  However, I believe that you manually tune the VORS using the NAV Radios between the FMC, not on the FMC itself.  You would track them using the VOR gauge right under the airspeed gauge. 

Edited by Crabby
Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

logo_130208.png

31 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I don't use VOR navigation, with the radios, much because of LNAV.  However, I believe that you manually tune the VORS using the NAV Radios between the FMC, not on the FMC itself.  You would track them using the VOR gauge right under the airspeed gauge. 

thats not correct. OP has the correct procedure written out and i can confirm the bug. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrHalfknight said:

thats not correct. OP has the correct procedure written out and i can confirm the bug. 

I guess it is back to the FCOM to learn about this. 

Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

logo_130208.png

11 hours ago, Crabby said:

As far as I am aware it's common to set the frequencies on the PROG page. At least during departure and arrival. I am not sure when the receivers are set. Maybe in case of a failure or a manual VOR approach. These can only bet set if you move the flight director to VOR. This way you loose filgiht bar indications. Doesn't make much sense to me.

It's quite useful to set the VORs on the PROG page as a backup or to get certain information at all.

In EDDM you can tune in the DMN or DMS VOR. Both are DME only. You can use that information to verify the distance indications from the ILS. You don't get that information from your F-PLAN page since both VORs are not part of the lateral procedure.

On the A320/A330/A340 you set the VOR (and ADF) frequencies on the RADNAV page basically. On the A300/A310 MCDU this feautre is located on the PROG page (exlcuding ADF).

Edited by mcnobody