P-40F Warhawk issues

THE EUG 7

Hello all! 
new to the forums not new to the P-40 as a real world aircraft as it has been one of two favorite planes of mine since childhood. We have one here at the Museum of Flight and I drool on it every time I see it😆 Anyway I just picked up the P-40F and I think it’s beautiful.BUT I have noticed a couple of things with flight and mechanical dynamics I was wondering about.

I am going over all of the systems in the aircraft and I have tried with assistance on and off, I normally fly off.

I have noticed a slower speed than the  public documentation for the aircraft from Curtiss. I have gone through all of the test elevation and weight envelopes.
I have noticed that the plane is supposed to be over 1000 lbs heavier than a B but it feels really light and floaty like a Cessna would be.

When pulling aft on the stick either in a banked hard turn or hard pitch up there is severe buffeting/ oscillations. While at war power

when pitching forward the nose tucks extremely fast then returns to a dive. Or nose over.

On final moving flaps down, gear down, the plane takes forever to slow down even if I cut throttle.

this is just in the first day I flew it.

Now I LOVE this plane model fyi, just what I have noticed.

I have real world visual experience seeing the P-40 flying, taking off and landing, spoken with pilots and have done dissertations on the P-40 back when I was in school. 
I really appreciate the work done for this plane and just want to either get clarification or just help with feedback is all. 
thanks IniBuilds for this bird now I can have 2!!!!!

On 2/8/2023 at 12:16 AM, THE EUG 7 said:

Hello all! 
new to the forums not new to the P-40 as a real world aircraft as it has been one of two favorite planes of mine since childhood. We have one here at the Museum of Flight and I drool on it every time I see it😆 Anyway I just picked up the P-40F and I think it’s beautiful.BUT I have noticed a couple of things with flight and mechanical dynamics I was wondering about.

I am going over all of the systems in the aircraft and I have tried with assistance on and off, I normally fly off.

I have noticed a slower speed than the  public documentation for the aircraft from Curtiss. I have gone through all of the test elevation and weight envelopes.
I have noticed that the plane is supposed to be over 1000 lbs heavier than a B but it feels really light and floaty like a Cessna would be.

When pulling aft on the stick either in a banked hard turn or hard pitch up there is severe buffeting/ oscillations. While at war power

when pitching forward the nose tucks extremely fast then returns to a dive. Or nose over.

On final moving flaps down, gear down, the plane takes forever to slow down even if I cut throttle.

this is just in the first day I flew it.

Now I LOVE this plane model fyi, just what I have noticed.

I have real world visual experience seeing the P-40 flying, taking off and landing, spoken with pilots and have done dissertations on the P-40 back when I was in school. 
I really appreciate the work done for this plane and just want to either get clarification or just help with feedback is all. 
thanks IniBuilds for this bird now I can have 2!!!!!

Hey and welcome to the forums and P-40F!

Can you please give some reference speeds, fuel weight loadouts, altitude, etc as to how you were flying to get this behaviour as I'm not seeing it here?

We have all data and pilot notes from the team up at Duxford and had many discussions with pilots on behaviour which the aircraft has been tuned to.

Thanks,

Ellie.

Point Mugu NAS runway #3

Heading 325deg. 

In game time of 10:52am

Changed weather to clear and O wind

weight 8,068

ELE                SPEED KTS/MPH

2000              250-287.6

5000              241-277

9800              256-294.6

12800             242-287.5

16700             239-275

19270             230-264.6

D0EA0FD5-DFF2-4BA6-8C11-D17F9F09C6B2.jpeg

BCBF0F8A-35CF-4BE1-84DE-0557FFEE0369.jpeg

Hiya, 
The reference data you posted is part of our data source for the P-40F.

I believe you are using the airspeed reading from the speedo in the cockpit which is indicated airspeed vs TAS. 350mph TAS is around 290 IAS

Running a test here with the engine running 1080 BHP and 2650 RPM I'm achieving 324/325mph TAS. At 12800ft and 1240BHP and 3000RPM I am achieving 351mph TAS

This is representative of the data you are quoting. 

Kind Regards

Pman

Hello,

I just completed a test with all 3 variants available with a timed take off and fly to waypoint. And a departure waypoint to waypoint flight. Yours was the slowest by 35ish seconds on takeoff to waypoint and 40ish seconds slower tan the waypoint to waypoint flight. All were conducted in the same conditions same flight level and same in game time. The other two models were showing higher flight speeds in kts and mph. Just some feedback for you.

19 hours ago, THE EUG 7 said:

Hello,

I just completed a test with all 3 variants available with a timed take off and fly to waypoint. And a departure waypoint to waypoint flight. Yours was the slowest by 35ish seconds on takeoff to waypoint and 40ish seconds slower tan the waypoint to waypoint flight. All were conducted in the same conditions same flight level and same in game time. The other two models were showing higher flight speeds in kts and mph. Just some feedback for you.

Thank you for the feedback.

You are comparing different products believing each one is correct in their own flight modelling. Of course we can only attest to our own product and not other companies products.

We have carried out extensive testing, even after your initial feedback, on our P-40F and it is on the numbers based on data, but also from multiple real life pilot accounts.

We were very fortunate to be able to have access to flight crew and mechanics here in the UK during development and the most common answer is that no aircraft ever  flies the same or even to the published numbers and there are so many factors to achieving top speed, fuel range, distance, etc.

We are confident we have this correct based on all feedback in the real world, not just flight manuals, and subsequently tailored as such for MSFS CFD technology.

However, we do appreciate your feedback to ensure we are making the highest quality products achievable.

Warm regards,

Ellise.

• 2 months later...

I’m not trying to disparage your hard work AT ALL! Was just comparing as you stated. I absolutely love your variant as it stands between the two others in very important and specific ways, not only in game but historically. Thank you for all the help and the work that was put in. I (as a P-40 nerd) find my self still hard pressed to choose what to fly. Take that as you will but I will definitely be looking forward to more of your aircraft in the future! Scrappy maybe!!!!😏😁 seriously thanks for the great support 

Edited by THE EUG 7
Miss typed