Persisting performance issues after update

zburns896

Hello,

I was very much looking forward to testing this update out once I saw it, however, I quickly realized that performance is still the same. Low FPS in general with massive stutters. Sadly, KSAT remains the worst performing airport in my sim currently. 

Are there any additional steps I can take to further increase optimization? I'd love to use this airport but in its current state it is still unusable. 

System Specs:

i7-12700k, RTX3070, 16GB RAM, with MSFS running on a SSD. 

Sim settings are the High-End preset at 1080p on DX11 and using TAA instead of any of the DLSS options. 

FPS is around 20 with constant stutters. 

image.png.efe87ae887550a94b47e90a4ed2f990e.png

Edited by zburns896

5 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Hello,

I was very much looking forward to testing this update out once I saw it, however, I quickly realized that performance is still the same. Low FPS in general with massive stutters. Sadly, KSAT remains the worst performing airport in my sim currently. 

Are there any additional steps I can take to further increase optimization? I'd love to use this airport but in its current state it is still unusable. 

System Specs:

Sim settings are the High-End preset at 1080p on DX11 and using TAA instead of any of the DLSS options. 

You likely need to clear MSFS's roaming files, after SU10, 99% of users files were not re-newed, and doubled up, since content.xml no longer structures sceneries.

(drive):\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

in here, you will need to delete these two items in the below screenshot. 
(If you are hesitant on deleting these, just move them out of this folder onto your desktop, or somewhere, for peace of mind.)

*NOTE - Upon deleting these files, re-run Navigraph NavData center, there will be an update if you have not done so since SU10, and re-install your AIRAC cycle, this will re-generate the content.xml for navigraph only, as it relies on it.

Load up the sim, these files will regenerate upon restarting MSFS. 
9/10 users will see a massive performance increase across the entire sim.

Also note, this is not something specific to KSAT, or iniscene packages specifically, it affects every package you install as well as the base MSFS packages, performance increase across the board entirely. This should be done EVERY update MSFS receives, to ensure nominal performance.

Worth mentioning, if you utilize a roaming cache, delete and re-generate it every update as well, or opt to not use it, as I do.

Screenshot_69.png

Another test with TAA, and loaded in FSTL traffic just for the added strain.

FPS meter and nVidia overlay to show.

But here's the real showcase, here's prior to 1.0.7 release, in the PMDG, with my normal settings on previous post, and 100% AIG traffic injected.

Day and night, no stutters even when yanking the camera at a speed not likely for normal users.

https://streamable.com/ds3ip4

If you use discord, please reach out to me, Wickedbacon#5798
I'm more than happy to screenshare and assist in managing performance, optimizing settings that are not-so-optimized/ready in the sim.
The 7 or so users I've done a one-on-one with, all have immensely increased their performance not just for KSAT, for the entirety of the simulator.
With a variety of systems, some more dated than others, KSAT for instance, in it's whole phase of development, it was entirely created on my old i7 7700k, 32gb of ram and 1080ti hybrid.

fpstesttaa.jpg

fpstesttraffic-pmdg-cockpit.jpg

fpstesttraffic-pmdg-cockpit_2.jpg

fpstest_interior_night.jpg

fpstest_interior_night_2.jpg

fps_overview_lods.jpg

Edited by wickedbacon

1 hour ago, zburns896 said:

Gave that a try, still no improvement. 

Apologies! I pointed to the wrong folder, still completely a good idea to remove scenerycache folder, this is also regenerated on start when it is not present.

The correct repository is right below it. SceneryIndexes.

image.thumb.jpeg.4976eec4856034fc381c8ebef3cdf561.jpeg

Attached below is a file view of the indexes folder, if you open yours, you will likely have a plethora of files in there that follow the naming convention such as "FIlexxxx" Those are depracated now, and users I've assisted the last few days have all had those files still present, as well as content.xml, which has the same naming conventions as they used to be in that xml, but separated as index files in the SceneryIndexes folder.

image.thumb.jpeg.8323001fd54bf403fa5e2177b1d6af95.jpeg

10 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Lastly, as a comparison, here is the performance at Boston, which is on the heavier side for my system. 

image.thumb.png.a246b5dcbe676c8b037ab5a39e853897.png

Your terrain level of detail will be the main culprit, leave it at 100, photogrammetry cities weigh heavily on that, the photogram buildings are terrain mesh, not actual object mesh, they are all affected by that setting. What are your system specs, and did you follow and do my above recommendation to clear cached files?

8 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Yep, cleared the files/folders. 

System Specs are i7-12700k, RTX3070, 16GB DDR4 @3600Mhz, and MSFS is running on a NVME SSD. Reducing Terrain LOD did not seem to help either. image.thumb.png.7476b8104154fdec1673f7e74160a4f7.png

Just to be certain, you cleared the SceneryIndexes folder? I amended my original post where I mistakenly pointed towards the SceneryCache folder (that one is perfectly fine to delete as well)

I've assisted two more users through the night, both of which have seen drastic improvements. One of which has the exact system you do.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by wickedbacon

48 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Yep, deleted the scenery cache, scenery index, and content.xml. 

If you're available for a one on one via discord, I'm more than happy to see what's going on and what we're missing, just let me know, i'm here all day. 

discord username:

Wickedbacon#5798

• JoshF locked this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 3:42 AM, zburns896 said:

Hello,

System Specs:

Hi, just to let you know; we've added configuration options to SAT via the iniManager. Please ensure both your iniManager and KSAT are fully up to date and this should provide you with an option to disable elements of the scenery which should hopefully relieve some of the performance issues. 

I'll re-open this thread just for some feedback from you either way 🙂

Thanks

• JoshF unlocked this topic