Jump to content

EGSS - tremendous GPU usage


Go to solution Solved by lewie01,
Message added by Sam,

Boundless Simulations have released v1.10 of London Stansted (EGSS). This update includes major performance improvements.

This update can be downloaded from your iniBuilds Store account: store.inibuilds.com/account

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

first, thanks for the nice rendition of Stansted 🙂

I noticed a tremendous GPU utilization with your scenery and therefore a significant penalty in FPS.

This is reproducible on my 2080 Ti system even during daytime, no weather (example stands: 52R, 92R). I doesn't matter if ORBX TE South is active or not.

Do you have any explanation for this? Unfortunately, this is not enjoyable the way it is right now 😞

Thanks for your help guys.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

been reading through the thread as an outsider and I had a thought occur to me, I'm sure you have probably thought of it but on the off chance, do you have any sort of LUA script running? Given that o

What can I say... fantastic improvement! Especially in terms of performance. Well done guys and thanks for taking our reported issues seriously and for the quick solution. Now there is only one thing

It's out! 🙂

Posted Images

2 hours ago, horacer said:

Hi guys,

first, thanks for the nice rendition of Stansted 🙂

I noticed a tremendous GPU utilization with your scenery and therefore a significant penalty in FPS.

This is reproducible on my 2080 Ti system even during daytime, no weather (example stands: 52R, 92R). I doesn't matter if ORBX TE South is active or not.

Do you have any explanation for this? Unfortunately, this is not enjoyable the way it is right now 😞

Thanks for your help guys.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

Hi Hendrick,
Thanks for the download and sorry to hear you're struggling with the FPS. 
The reasons are that the South East region of England generally is a heavy area, lots of major airports pretty densely located. Stansted itself is no small airport and has many complex buildings. We've also used PBR to ensure the best visual effect possible. All of this combined is probably leading to the high GPU usage. 

I'm not sure what your settings are, but setting scenery shadows to off, and reducing reflection detail should have the biggest FPS improvements with the smallest visual diffeences. Again, it'll also depend on the aircraft you're flying.

To a point, with a project of this size we really cannot avoid high GPU usage, we've optimised it as far as we can whilst maintaining the visual realism. But, if it is a problem and we think it'll improve user experience, we will definitely release a 'lite' version, with reduced PBR and SD textures. 

Hope that helps
Lewis
:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

I'm also facing heavy FPS issues with your EGSS rendition. For me, it is actually unplayable and I'm thinking of contacting iniBuilds for a refund.

I understand your explanation about South East England beeing very heavy on frames, which I basically can confirm, but I don't have performance issues on Origami EGKK or Aerosoft EGLL on such an impact.

I recently upgraded my machine, which is now powered by a Ryzen 5 5600X, 32GB of RAM (3600MHz) and GeForce 1060 OC 6GB (which is unfortunatelly the bottle neck but GPU prices are nowadays far away from what I'm willed to pay...). I manage to have 35 Frames (locked) on all other the London airports using ToLiss-Aircrafts. Zibo is ~ 5FPS less. But in EGSS I have max. 15 - 19 Frames in ToLiss. And when I look arround the area around Gatwick and Heathrow is much more intensive concerning autogen than Stansted is. The GPU-utilization in Stansted goes up to 0.6 per frame, while CPU is bored and has nothing to do. Normally, autogen problems would have a much heavier impact on CPU as I can see, when on ground in Gatwick or Heathrow, which shows a much higher CPU utiliziation. 

 

What I see is that you have the apron lights on, also during daytime. This is normally a big problem for my system. Also having these issues for Orbx EGNX where the frames are also bad because of the lighting. Maybe you can have a look into that. 

Thanks and regards,

Stefan

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi,

thanks @lewie01for stepping in and @swir87 for sharing your observation.

It is definitely related to the scenery. I can position myself at London City (ORBX) with True Earth enabled - which is a massive scenery load - and my GPU usage is at around 50% (My frames are locked at 30). With the default Stansted, it works below 50%. It's only with Boundless Stansted, that the GPU is completely maxed out. @swir87Your card should be fine. A friend of mine reported the behavior as well running a 3080. So there is not much a higher end graphics card could do.

If you need any more information, please let me know. I will try to assist as much as I can 🙂

Kind regards,

Hendrik

Edited by horacer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swir87 said:

What I see is that you have the apron lights on, also during daytime. This is normally a big problem for my system. Also having these issues for Orbx EGNX where the frames are also bad because of the lighting. Maybe you can have a look into that. 

That's an interesting point. Didn't notice that 😉 Have you also tested at nighttime? The lighting might need some tweaking then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swir87 said:

Hello, 

I'm also facing heavy FPS issues with your EGSS rendition. For me, it is actually unplayable and I'm thinking of contacting iniBuilds for a refund.

I understand your explanation about South East England beeing very heavy on frames, which I basically can confirm, but I don't have performance issues on Origami EGKK or Aerosoft EGLL on such an impact.

I recently upgraded my machine, which is now powered by a Ryzen 5 5600X, 32GB of RAM (3600MHz) and GeForce 1060 OC 6GB (which is unfortunatelly the bottle neck but GPU prices are nowadays far away from what I'm willed to pay...). I manage to have 35 Frames (locked) on all other the London airports using ToLiss-Aircrafts. Zibo is ~ 5FPS less. But in EGSS I have max. 15 - 19 Frames in ToLiss. And when I look arround the area around Gatwick and Heathrow is much more intensive concerning autogen than Stansted is. The GPU-utilization in Stansted goes up to 0.6 per frame, while CPU is bored and has nothing to do. Normally, autogen problems would have a much heavier impact on CPU as I can see, when on ground in Gatwick or Heathrow, which shows a much higher CPU utiliziation. 

 

What I see is that you have the apron lights on, also during daytime. This is normally a big problem for my system. Also having these issues for Orbx EGNX where the frames are also bad because of the lighting. Maybe you can have a look into that. 

Thanks and regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Sorry it's unplayable for you, that's obviously not what we want for anyone. We'll be looking at a lighter version in the coming days so maybe hold tight until that's released and see how it performs for you. Is it slowest on the apron? That's where most of the complex buildings / PBR is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, horacer said:

Hi,

thanks @lewie01for stepping in and @swir87 for sharing your observation.

It is definitely related to the scenery. I can position myself at London City (ORBX) with True Earth enabled - which is a massive scenery load - and my GPU usage is at around 50% (My frames are locked at 30). With the default Stansted, it works below 50%. It's only with Boundless Stansted, that the GPU is completely maxed out. @swir87Your card should be fine. A friend of mine reported the behavior as well running a 3080. So there is not much a higher end graphics card could do.

If you need any more information, please let me know. I will try to assist as much as I can 🙂

Kind regards,

Hendrik

Hi Hendrick thanks again. Lighter version will be coming soon, are frames lowest when parked at the apron and looking at the terminals?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, horacer said:

That's an interesting point. Didn't notice that 😉 Have you also tested at nighttime? The lighting might need some tweaking then.

On the systems we've tested on, night time FPS seem to be the same, or even better in places

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lewie01 said:

Hi Hendrick thanks again. Lighter version will be coming soon, are frames lowest when parked at the apron and looking at the terminals?

As working from home, I will be able to do a test in the next 30 minutes 😉 Will report back here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lewie01 said:

Hi Hendrick thanks again. Lighter version will be coming soon, are frames lowest when parked at the apron and looking at the terminals?

Tested from stand 92R. And yes indeed: Performance is worst, when looking towards the terminal buildings. It's okay'ish when facing east towards the landscape. GPU utilization drops to the 60' / 70' % range. Nighttime doesn't make much of a difference.

Thanks for your effort.

Hendrik

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me, standing at 32 brings me 10FPS...

image.thumb.png.73a4b1bcd744a2d8d865dcfc36108f91.png

 

At night add ~ 2 Frames... @lewie01I will be patient giving you guys some time to investigate 🙂 I'm sure you will find the thing 🙂

Regards, 

Stefan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, horacer said:

I think the most interesting finding is from @swir87 regarding the apron lights on during daytime. That might be the culprit, not PBR. 

Yeah we will fix that, I think it'll only have a minor effect as it's not the whole light spill which is on

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, swir87 said:

Same for me, standing at 32 brings me 10FPS...

image.thumb.png.73a4b1bcd744a2d8d865dcfc36108f91.png

 

At night add ~ 2 Frames... @lewie01I will be patient giving you guys some time to investigate 🙂 I'm sure you will find the thing 🙂

Regards, 

Stefan

Thanks! It's not always easy to strike the perfect balance between visual realism and performance, so we really appreciate you letting us know so we can improve it. We don't want anyone to not enjoy the scenery so we'll do all we can. I'll keep everyone updated on here over the next few days 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also having a bad FPS issue with the new Stansted- I am used to getting between 37-65 FPS consistently everywhere on the simulator, even in areas with scenery just as/ more detailed and realistic, and with the UK2000 scenery I was seeing around 55fps, now the highest I get with Boundless' Stansted is 24fps however it keeps dropping every few seconds down to around 10-15fps, making it completely unplayable. 

Separate to this I also have an issue with the runway, it is ridiculously bumpy where it is un-realistic and almost impossible to take off, as it launches you into the air then you literally land again with not reaching V1/V2 speeds etc, also causes definite tail strikes. This also makes it un-usable. 

It is all a shame as the buildings and scenery on the whole are really amazing, it would be perfect if there was a solution for the FPS issue and for the runway. 

I must admit if I can't get up to around 37fps or higher once again and for it to stick their with no stutters / sudden drops and see an improvement with the unrealistically drastic and problematic runway bumps towards the middle/ end I would have to ask for a refund off of inibuilds as I cannot afford to pay for scenery I will have to delete because of the listed problems.  

Thank you, hope to hear from you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, alexg149 said:

I am also having a bad FPS issue with the new Stansted- I am used to getting between 37-65 FPS consistently everywhere on the simulator, even in areas with scenery just as/ more detailed and realistic, and with the UK2000 scenery I was seeing around 55fps, now the highest I get with Boundless' Stansted is 24fps however it keeps dropping every few seconds down to around 10-15fps, making it completely unplayable. 

Separate to this I also have an issue with the runway, it is ridiculously bumpy where it is un-realistic and almost impossible to take off, as it launches you into the air then you literally land again with not reaching V1/V2 speeds etc, also causes definite tail strikes. This also makes it un-usable. 

It is all a shame as the buildings and scenery on the whole are really amazing, it would be perfect if there was a solution for the FPS issue and for the runway. 

I must admit if I can't get up to around 37fps or higher once again and for it to stick their with no stutters / sudden drops and see an improvement with the unrealistically drastic and problematic runway bumps towards the middle/ end I would have to ask for a refund off of inibuilds as I cannot afford to pay for scenery I will have to delete because of the listed problems.  

Thank you, hope to hear from you! 

Hi, 
Thanks. We're working on a performance update now, for many users it does run fine but the last thing we want is to leave anyone behind. The UK2000 version will naturally have higher FPS, as the levels of detail and features are very different between the two versions. Have you got any screenshots of the runway? There's no custom mesh in this airport, we just deactivated the 'flatten' runway feature so it has more realistic curvature. It should be pretty standard and I'm not aware of anyone else having problems with it?

Thanks a lot,
Lewis

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lewie01 said:

Hi, 
Thanks. We're working on a performance update now, for many users it does run fine but the last thing we want is to leave anyone behind. The UK2000 version will naturally have higher FPS, as the levels of detail and features are very different between the two versions. Have you got any screenshots of the runway? There's no custom mesh in this airport, we just deactivated the 'flatten' runway feature so it has more realistic curvature. It should be pretty standard and I'm not aware of anyone else having problems with it?

Thanks a lot,
Lewis

Great thank you so much, look forward to trying it. Yes I see the clear different between UK2000 and Boundless' it's an amazing improvement, it would be perfect without the FPS drop which I'm sure will be sorted with your update. 

I researched on how to flatten runways on xp11 and copied some instructions from a forum so I have sorted the runway bumps issue  (I seem to have an ongoing issue with drastic runway bumps in none-payware airports so with your flatten feature de-activated it is probably a problem on my side) but anyways I've sorted it now. 

Look forward to the update, thank you again! From Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexg149 said:

Great thank you so much, look forward to trying it. Yes I see the clear different between UK2000 and Boundless' it's an amazing improvement, it would be perfect without the FPS drop which I'm sure will be sorted with your update. 

I researched on how to flatten runways on xp11 and copied some instructions from a forum so I have sorted the runway bumps issue  (I seem to have an ongoing issue with drastic runway bumps in none-payware airports so with your flatten feature de-activated it is probably a problem on my side) but anyways I've sorted it now. 

Look forward to the update, thank you again! From Alex

Hey Alex!
That's good, as I said, the runway is good on our end and seems to be perfect for other users. if you were struggling with it we would have been more than happy to send you a special version with the flattened runway anyway!

Although we can't make tiny tweaks for everyone, we'll always try and do what we can to make sure it works for you as well as possible. Update will be a few days away hopefully 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lewie01 said:

Hey Alex!
That's good, as I said, the runway is good on our end and seems to be perfect for other users. if you were struggling with it we would have been more than happy to send you a special version with the flattened runway anyway!

Although we can't make tiny tweaks for everyone, we'll always try and do what we can to make sure it works for you as well as possible. Update will be a few days away hopefully 🙂

Hi! Indeed it was problem at my end, and thank you for the flat runway offer too! 

Thanks very much for the help and attentiveness,it's so good to see, I really do look forward to the performance update as it is truly brilliant scenery. Will I be able to find a link to the update on here?

Gracias again !

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, alexg149 said:

Hi! Indeed it was problem at my end, and thank you for the flat runway offer too! 

Thanks very much for the help and attentiveness,it's so good to see, I really do look forward to the performance update as it is truly brilliant scenery. Will I be able to find a link to the update on here?

Gracias again !

No worries! I mean we genuinely appreciate every download so of course we will do all we can for you... We'll post on here with update progress, on the ini Store I believe all you'll need to do is redownload once it's ready 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The update is being worked on right now - we've got the VRAM usage down compared to the old version, we are now doing all we can to improve FPS in the apron area, it's not easy because there is so much detail. We will try and improve FPS as much as possible with the least visual difference obviously!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok - we're hoping to have the update out in the next day or so, it's currently in beta testing. There's a full list of fixes and improvements below:
Reduced VRAM*
Reduced FPS*
Runway taxi joins improved 
Ground marking textures altered
Smaller file size
Reported bugs fixed
 

* We've done all we can to reduce VRAM and improve FPS without decreasing the visual quality... not an easy job! All users should see an improvement, especially with VRAM usage, but how much it improves will vary system to system. Just because this update is done, it doesn't mean we won't make further tweaks in the future. 

I'll be sure to post a notification on here when the update is up - thanks again to everyone for your patience 🙂

Edited by lewie01
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lewie01 said:

Ok - we're hoping to have the update out in the next day or so, it's currently in beta testing. There's a full list of fixes and improvements below:
Reduced VRAM*
Reduced FPS*
Runway taxi joins improved 
Ground marking textures altered
Smaller file size
Reported bugs fixed
 

* We've done all we can to reduce VRAM and improve FPS without decreasing the visual quality... not an easy job! All users should see an improvement, especially with VRAM usage, but how much it improves will vary system to system. Just because this update is done, it doesn't mean we won't make further tweaks in the future. 

I'll be sure to post a notification on here when the update is up - thanks again to everyone for your patience 🙂

Thank you so much! Can't wait to download it! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Update is up! As I said, it should improve things with performance but this will depend on the system. Reported bugs have beebn fixed, I really hope you all enjoy it 🙂


As always, this doesn't mean we will stop adding extra features and improvements in the future 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...